When To Detail Engine and compartment?

bretamo

May 13, 2005
I am writing for some feedback on when and how to best detail the engine compartment of my 92 GT.

Within the next month I plan to replace the stock heads and intake with GT-40 parts and install underdrive pulleys. In doing this, I see an opportunity to at least clean and/or paint component parts and brackets, update the hoses, and clean in some hard to reach places.

Has anyone been in this position and planned ahead on the detailing of your motor and compartment? What was your plan, how did you do it, and what are some do's and don'ts.

Thanks in advance for transferring your experience!

Bretamo
92 Stock GT

• Sponsors (?)

When I did mine I pulled everything off the fender wells and rear firewall and cleaned it with degreaser.
Then I ran most of the wires in the fender for a cleaner look.
Then I painted it.
Cleaned the hoses and wires up, painted the brackets, valve covers and such.
Bought some new wire loom from here and reloomed my wire harnesses. Re ran the front headlight harness in front of the core support so it wasn't squished between the radiator and the core support.
Oh, I also had my battery relocated to the trunk.
I think it came out looking pretty good. Nothing fancy, just clean.
Here are a few pictures of how it came out.
581377_110_full.jpg

581377_111_full.jpg

581377_112_full.jpg

581377_113_full.jpg

I find it's best to leave any true detailing work untill after the mechanical is done..the combination of coolant/oil/grease/dirt can completely destroy alot of effort made. After an intake swap two years ago the mess left my hard work of painting and cleaning unseen...she looked filthy and had to start all over again. Keep the bay clean and wait untill your done your swap...IMO.

ALMOSTFINISHED said:
89sleeper- what kind of paint did you use to do the engine bay? It looks great.

Nick
Thanks.

I actually used some cheap Walmart Brand gloss white paint for the bay. For the brackets and the valve covers I used Duplicolor metalic silver wheel paint with High Temp Engine clear.

Engine out allows a much better job..Though I would have loved the hidden wire route that Almost stock has mastered, I was not as comfortable with my abilities at that time. Having the engine out allows you to tackle some other issues that are a bit more difficult while in..like oil pan gaskets, pump replacement and others
000_0261.jpg

100_0882.jpg

100_5430.jpg

100_5417.jpg

DMAN302 said:
Engine out allows a much better job..Though I would have loved the hidden wire route that Almost stock has mastered, I was not as comfortable with my abilities at that time. Having the engine out allows you to tackle some other issues that are a bit more difficult while in..like oil pan gaskets, pump replacement and others

Believe me if it were that difficult to do, I surly wouldn’t have done it.

All you really need to do is think about what you're doing before you do it to avoid any mistakes is what it all boils down to and nothing more.

And as far as your engine compartment goes, I'll always give you a :nice:

You can do very well w/o removing the engine. If you're going to weld things up then it will be tough to maneuver in there, but it's possible. Another member here did it that way last fall and it came out great.

He wasn't able to go to the extent that we did because his motor was in there, but for not pulling the motor it came out tremendous :nice: