When to raise the rev limiter?

Wikkdgt

Jul 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I hear that lots of people are raising the rev limiter. I am wondering why is this and is it safe to do without a buildup? When is a good time to raise the limiter as far as the types of mods you have on the car already?

• Sponsors (?)

people usually raise the limiter when they are running taller gears so they dont run out of gear in the 1/4 and have to switch into 5th. usually you raise it when you get a s/c or a turbo...

dunno about having a built bottom end but i wouldnt think the stock bottom end would last long revving to 6,000-6,500...

Do Not raise your limiter. Its not needed. Your car is not making power past the redline anyhow UNLESS you have a power-adder with a built motor. Do Not over-rev the stock motor, its useless.

Hope that was precise enough, I hate when people list a mod as "7K rev limiter" its absolutely assinine. Im not flaming you bro, just trying to make it perfectly clear. ****, most people shift well below the redline anyhow to stay in their powerband :shrug:

FWIW - before anyone flames me, please notice I said UNLESS up there, dont skim the post and than tell me you rev past 6k because you have a turbo. Thanks.

I've heard from various sources that revving to 6.5k rpms is safe on the stock long block......but why you would want to do that is beyond me, especially since a bolt-on n/a 4.6 will peak in power way before that.

What everyone else said, but also if I remember right, the stock valves/springs aren't too fond of going over the redline by much. I think its supposed to be safe to rev to 6-6200k, but definately no more. But like everyone else said, its kind of pointless because the car really stops making power above redline.

Not just the internals and valvetrain, but I've heard the GT's oil pump isn't a rev-monster either. Revving that high, I don't even want to imagine what would happen if something happened to your oil supply. :eek: :nonono:

nickthegenius said:
I think I'll still raise mine to 6500rpm after I get my cams installed. It only makes sense if the car is still pulling to raise the limiter.

You have a limiter for a reason. To LIMIT the rpms on the engine. I can guarentee you your stock bottom end WILL NOT hold up to 6500 shifts all the time. I dont care if the car is making power up until that point, if your internals cannot HOLD the power, than Bye Bye motor.

As stated above, the power curve is over after about 5300 RPMS on a stock GT. If you add cams that would raise that power curve, YOU BETTER HAVE AFTERMARKET SPRINGS that will handle the additional revs. Still not assured of being safe, as a spun rod bearing can occur at anytime on a stock shortblock. Plain and simple, you are running with just bolt-ons, stick with the stock limiter.

I'll be reving to 7500 with a forged setup (made to rev to 8000) and my ass will be puckering like crazy. "Should" be safe, but you just never know at that extreme.

My car used to limit @ about 5500 RPMs but after the Superchip was installed I noticed that I can hit 7000. I have done it on occasion but totally agree that it's extrememly pointless as my HP/torque curves decrease @ about 5500 RPMs. & remember I said I've done it only on occasion. Like 5 times since I've owned the car.

downsouthman1 said:
My car used to limit @ about 5500 RPMs but after the Superchip was installed I noticed that I can hit 7000. I have done it on occasion but totally agree that it's extrememly pointless as my HP/torque curves decrease @ about 5500 RPMs. & remember I said I've done it only on occasion. Like 5 times since I've owned the car.

:eek:

Hitting 7000rpms ONCE on the stock engine would make me **** myself and start thinking about a new bottom end. :nonono:

Atlanta_GTer - I'd love to hear a sound clip of that when it's all done. :drool: :drool: :drool:

GinoGT said:
:eek:

Hitting 7000rpms ONCE on the stock engine would make me **** myself and start thinking about a new bottom end. :nonono:

That's why I don't ever test the rev limiter on my car anymore. @ 7000 it still doesn't engage. On my wife's car on the other hand I love sitting @ a redlight tapping the rev limiter 3 times in a row just holding the gas.

Its been stated a lot already but you dont need to raise your rev limiter unless you have added nitrous, s/c, or a turbo. It is 100% pointless on a stock motor. One thing I dont think people realize is that yeah your rev limiter may kick in at say 6500 rpm, but due to all the rotational force everything internally is spinning at, your actually a good bit above 6500rpm before it slows after the rev limiter kicks in. Just a physics thing a buddy of mine at a speedshop told me.

Test the rev limiter..........:lol: :rlaugh: Just need to make sure it didn't wear out or anything. :D :jester:

As far as I'm concerned, stock GT = 6050rpms. With a power adder, I wouldn't touch it for the life of me. The engine is already seeing enough stress with the addition of boost/nitrous, the last thing it wants is to be revving higher than it was designed to WITHOUT a power adder. Like I said, if I want to press my luck and spin it any faster, I'd be sure I have the money to fix whatever may go wrong.

While the GT's engine overall may be a good engine, the stock rods, pistons, oil pump, and valvetrain surely don't inspire me to watch the tach go flying past the number "6" for very long.

Now with the strength and piece of mind a built engine gives, I'd be much more willing to kick it up a couple notches. :nice:

I agree, even with a power adder I would not even think about raising my rev limiter. (Unless you have a built engine.) As soon as the tires break loose you are instanly bouncing off of the limiter. I know it has saved my butt a few times already.