where are you guys mounting your ignition boxes?

cenok is family

15 Year Member
Jun 25, 2003
Norman, Ok
we just had a 30% off day at autozone and i picked up an MSD 6al for $155 + tax. i have a pretty much stock setup under the hood (factory airbox and tube, battery up front), and i've found only one spot i can squeeze it into to mount it, over by the mass air sensor. i'd like to put it somewhere closer to the coil/battery if possible. lets see where you guys mount them so i might be able to get an idea. i'm willing to move stuff if needed. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

today i just relocated my battery to the hatch in my and my ign box will be going where it was, really cleaned it up. plus the benefits of the trunk mounted battery....

i did have mine over by my supercharger (around where maf would be on a N/A car) but i hated having to route wires across, a PITA and i didnt like it, plus the SC will give of some heat and it was pretty close.

i moved the battery, i figured it would help with weight transfer and i am putting the box there and only running a few inches of wire.

i would also reccomend a premade TFI harness, makes it alot easier to cleaner to install an ign box. other wire you have to cut and splice into your stock harness. this way you dont, the link i posted is for the summit box but it would work with anything.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-850518&autoview=sku

My 6al is in the driver side inner fender, basically on the other side of the battery (stock location). Puts it very close to the coil and battery.

Bent a piece of sheet metal into an "L" bracket, mounted one half to the inner fender metal and the other half is where the 6al is mounted. I'd get you pics, but I'd have to pull out the inner fender liner, sorry.

Hope my description makes sense. :shrug:

we just had a 30% off day at autozone......

I love this time of year, I bought all the brake stuff for my 63 Fairlane (stupid drums are normally 64$ each!) including drums, shoes, all-in-one spring kit, wheel cylinders, self adjusting kit, wheel bearings and seals for about 210$. They should do that for us more often.

As for the box, I have mine mounted inside. I don't have one on the fox, but my 68 has one and I mounted it inside the car, because at the time I was driving it everywhere, all the time, and it wouldn't get subjected to heat/water/road grime in the car.

100_2027.jpg

100_2033.jpg

thanks for all the replies so far! 68stang351, yeah i know what you mean! that extra 10% makes a big difference in price! but if they did it more often, i'd be broker than i am right now! :rlaugh:

trbofox, that looks clean man! where are all the bolt going through the inner fender at? when i was standing and looking at my engine compartment and thinking where to mount it, i thought about mounting it exactly where you and alanw6 have it mounted. i actually mounted the ballast for my driver side headlight in there (i have HIDs). i'd imagine there's pretty much no way around having to take the fender off, though, huh?

I mounted mine on the passenger side fender, in the engine bay. Running the wires is really simple, I just made a new harness and ran it underneath the stock wiring harness that already runs from the ps to ds, behind the radiator. My car is supercharged, so heat was a consideration, though. I am running the Anderson Power Pipe, so I used the stock Vortech air cleaner shield/box as a heat shield. Also beware of the junk rubber isolation mounting screws/pads. Mine pulled apart on the test drive after installing the ignition box!! I fabbed my own, out of round rubber plugs with the screws going entirely through the rubber isolator (not pressed and glued into the center, like stock.)

My 6al is in the driver side inner fender, basically on the other side of the battery (stock location). Puts it very close to the coil and battery.

Bent a piece of sheet metal into an "L" bracket, mounted one half to the inner fender metal and the other half is where the 6al is mounted. I'd get you pics, but I'd have to pull out the inner fender liner, sorry.

Hope my description makes sense. :shrug:

View attachment 311974
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SME%2D2802&N=700+115&autoview=sku

That's where mine is. I also made my bracket that is similar to the Summit one.

Lems

i put mine under the passenger seat.
didnt drill any holes,
just ziptied it to the springs of the seat.
can adjust rev limiter etc by pulling the little msd screwdriver out of the glove box, and leaning over and looking under the seat... not that i ever change it

well crap. i just felt around behind my driver's side fender because that's where i was planning on mounting it, and i don't think i have any room. i still have my washer reservoir in there, and like i said earlier, i have the HID ballast for my driver's side headlight in there. i think i'm just going to mount it under my seat. i'm not going to drill any holes through the floor board, but im going to secure it to the carpet. i think it's pulled tight enough it's not going to move. where's the best/easiest place to go through to firewall? i've already ran a couple wires for my gauge and stereo through the big rubber grommet for the main harness, i'm thinking probably there again