Where can I buy reconditioned brake booster/master cylinder combo?

Took my 2 week old 66 c-code auto to have brakes checked out--(they were done 9K miles ago/or 10 yrs. ) There was 80% left but previous owner never changed fluid looked like mud but were flused twice and adjusted. They work somewhat better but the booster is bad. I called MACS Vintage parts, back east and they are out of stock but will rebuild mine for $200 . Is there any other supplier(doing this as an option to tech. finding one) out there like a Macs. Mech says once fixed it will be like night and day. After looking at old fluid I was lucky to get home after purchase of car !! Hadn't driven all drum car since 1960/70. Seller relied on his Mechanic to do everything. What a joke shop checks fluids once a year since 2000(since brake job) and didn't flush the fluid. Any Ideas would be helpfull. Thanks- Doug

• Sponsors (?)

Truly your best route is to get your original booster reconditioned. The master and wheel cylinders would be better if replaced, they are likely pitted and corroded by the fouled fluid. In a severe case, you will want to replace the steel lines, too.

Why do you feel you need a booster? Is this an all drum car with a booster? I'm confused.

Yes, you are confusing power boost, which makes pedal effort less, and disc brake, which improves high-speed performance. Power drum brakes were once quite common, and are perfectly fine for street driven cars. I just removed a power brake booster from a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible for reconditioning.

Yes, you are confusing power boost, which makes pedal effort less, and disc brake, which improves high-speed performance. Power drum brakes were once quite common, and are perfectly fine for street driven cars. I just removed a power brake booster from a 64 1/2 Mustang convertible for reconditioning.

I know what disc brakes and power boosters are. I just never realized Ford used power drums on the older Mustangs. I know it was quite common in intermediates.

Still doesn't answer why he feels he needs a booster.

Mechanic that worked on brakes said the >

I know what disc brakes and power boosters are. I just never realized Ford used power drums on the older Mustangs. I know it was quite common in intermediates.

the OEM booster was bad and not reacting in a normal way--pedal pressure/braking force. Master is fine but Macs sold them together. Sorry for confusion as I'm not a drum brake guy--to many years have passed since the sixties. LOL. Thanks much for all your advice as my new hobby can sometimes challange my sanity!!!

Power drum brakes were an option on all 64-70 Mustangs, even the 6 cylinder cars.

And he already has a power booster, factory original. It's just shot, which is worse than not having one at all. The 64-66 booster had a linkage which reduced leverage, giving better control over the boosted brake. The 67-70 used a special pedal to accomplish this.

Brake Booster

Took my 2 week old 66 c-code auto to have brakes checked out--(they were done 9K miles ago/or 10 yrs. ) There was 80% left but previous owner never changed fluid looked like mud but were flused twice and adjusted. They work somewhat better but the booster is bad. I called MACS Vintage parts, back east and they are out of stock but will rebuild mine for $200 . Is there any other supplier(doing this as an option to tech. finding one) out there like a Macs. Mech says once fixed it will be like night and day. After looking at old fluid I was lucky to get home after purchase of car !! Hadn't driven all drum car since 1960/70. Seller relied on his Mechanic to do everything. What a joke shop checks fluids once a year since 2000(since brake job) and didn't flush the fluid. Any Ideas would be helpfull. Thanks- Doug

Ebay has a new one that comes with a new Master cylinder for $200.00 + $15.00 shipping (no core) Item number: 230418554049

Power drum brakes were an option on all 64-70 Mustangs, even the 6 cylinder cars.

And he already has a power booster, factory original. It's just shot, which is worse than not having one at all. The 64-66 booster had a linkage which reduced leverage, giving better control over the boosted brake. The 67-70 used a special pedal to accomplish this.

Interesting. I have never seen a power drum 69-70 car. And I have looked at a LOT of them.