where can I find a brake light switch operated off hydraulic pressure?

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
I got my car as a gutted shell, so I am in the midst of trying to track down a hundred misc parts....what I am looking for right now is a brake light switch...I'm not interested in the stock switch because then I would have to hunt down a stock connector harness too, making my job twice as difficult...however I have an extra 3/16 port that is currently blocked off i can use...I know that there are hydraulically operated switches on aftermarket distribution blocks...I want one of those...doesnt have to be aftermarket(stock applications that use a 3/16" fitting will work fine...) I have custom wiring all through the vehicle...connecting it will not be an issue

one requirement...I want a switch that ends with wires...not some connector that I then have to track down a harness for

• Sponsors (?)

I seem to have found one on a '72 mustang oddly enough, screwed into the distribution block...strange thing is...it has another one on the pedal like most other classic mustangs...what gives?

You are probably looking at the brake warning light sensor, not a pressure switch.

View attachment 249364

This is what you need:

C4DZ-13480-A.jpg

I seem to have found one on a '72 mustang oddly enough, screwed into the distribution block...strange thing is...it has another one on the pedal like most other classic mustangs...what gives?

Thats the 'brake fault" switch, If pressure is lost in a circuit a plunger moves and locks off the low pressure side and activates the switch which turns on the dash warning light.

You sure it's going to be easier to plumb in another electro/hydraulic component than a single switch?

The original electric switch has two male spade terminals on it. You don't
need a harness, you need two wires with female spade lugs crimped on them. Plug right in. Couldn't be easier, at least way easier than plumbing a presure switch & you would have to run the two wires out to the pressure switch anyway...

heh, see all the crap I dont know just from never having had a complete car to begin with(well, used to have a complete running '67 years and years ago....but that was before I knew anything about cars, so I paid attention to nothing but basic maintenance)

I know for a fact that 67 and earlier VWs had a pressure actuated switch. I'm not sure what the thread pitch was though. It seems like any pressue operated switch would work. Modern A/C systems have a switch that will not let the compressor clutch engae if there is no pressure in the system. You may be able to get one to work.

I know for a fact that 67 and earlier VWs had a pressure actuated switch. I'm not sure what the thread pitch was though. It seems like any pressure operated switch would work. Modern A/C systems have a switch that will not let the compressor clutch engage if there is no pressure in the system. You may be able to get one to work.