Where is the best place for me to start with Suspension Mods?

atey950

Founding Member
Aug 5, 1999
Southeastern PA
I want to get better traction first and foremost.
My suspension is 100% stock aside from the eibachs.
I have already ordered the MM CC plates. So what shousl I do next.
Remember I am looking for improved traction first, handling second...see my mods in the sig...The car is dropped 1 3/4".

• Sponsors (?)

like brodeurNJ, errr, black331stang said, you need to decide if you want ultimate straight line hook, ultimate cornering, or perhaps a nicely balance combo of both. also, if you haven't yet, GET SUBFRAME CONNECTORS. sorry for yelling, i'm just trying to emphasize how important this is. SFC's will improve all aspects of your car (straight, corner, fewer creaks/rattles).

now, by saying improved traction first, handling second i would think you mean straight line traction. if that is true, after you get SFC's i recommend the following mods, in no particular order:

drag radials/et streets - single biggest improvement in 1/4
air bag in right rear coil/anti-roll bar
remove front sway bar
remove weight from front of car with aluminum parts
upper and lower rear control arms.
drag shocks/struts
rear gears
move battery to trunk - any weight you can move from the front to the rear is a BIG +

what are your goals for this car? dragster/corner carver/daily driver that does both reasonably well?

-steve

Well, I already have HPM subframes on the car (see sig)
I am definitely not looking fot the ultimate in handling. I am looking more
for straight line traction. I am pushing 450rwhp, and right now it is just eating my tires. I dont drive the car much, so I am not really worried about sacraficing a super smooth ride and excellent handling...
Bottom Line - I want the car to hook up.
What about panhard bar and torque arm? What do you guys think of those....Also, give me an idea of what I could expect to spend for the components you have listed....

atey950 said:
Well, I already have HPM subframes on the car (see sig)

sorry, i didn't notice the first time through and was too lazy to go back.

I am definitely not looking fot the ultimate in handling. I am looking more
for straight line traction. I am pushing 450rwhp, and right now it is just eating my tires. I dont drive the car much, so I am not really worried about sacraficing a super smooth ride and excellent handling...
Bottom Line - I want the car to hook up.
What about panhard bar and torque arm? What do you guys think of those....Also, give me an idea of what I could expect to spend for the components you have listed....

cool, now i know where you want to go. i cant speak for the t/a from a drag standpoint as it's geared more towards handling. i want to get the t/a for my car but it's an all around daily driver. the list i gave you earlier is geared towards a drag car so that is a good start for you. if you have specific questions feel free to holla at me.

-steve

A T/A is superior to a four link for drag racing- you will find way more of them at the drags than you will at the road course. Most AutoXers prefer a properly located four link with parallel upper and lowers. By tranferring the torque from the axle windup to the center of the car (instead of the rear floor under the back seat, like with uppers and lowers) a T/A gives you mad traction on the rear tires- ironically it's there when cornering too. If you want crazy strait line grip, that's an awsome place to start. The only difference between a T/A setup being more ideal for strait launching or for corner carving is the spring rates you use, and possibly the shocks.

TASS-1.jpg

Give Maximum Motorsports a call. They have a techs there who are knowlegable and know thier stuff. MM builds and races cars with thier products before they introduce them to the market. They had thier aftermarket K member in thier car for more than a year before releasing it for public consumtion, they care about thier name. Some of these companies are just doing cheaper coppies of MM/Steeda/D&D/ect to cash in, but arn't serious about performance.