Where is your MSD 6al located?

Danny's 94Cobra

Oct 20, 2004
I have my MSD 6al located in the trunk with the rev. limiter. I had not had any problems until last year all of a sudden my car turned off and would turn back on. I by passed the msd and the car worked so I took it off along with my boost retard and sent them to msd to get checked. MSD fixed my 6al and said the boost retard was ok. I really hadnt driven my car much but a few months back My car started turning off again and wouldnt start with the msd connected once it was by passed it would start again. The weird thing is that once it cooled down or the following day it would start again with the msd but later it would turn off. I contacted msd and they said that It was maybe my coil that was week. They stated that if the msd went out normally it would not start again. I replaced my coil with their blaster coil again. But this week end my car would not start again until the msd was bypassed. I have a feeling the msd is going out again. Has anyone had similar problems? Could it be the location of the box since I extended all the wires? I will probably be ordering a new one becouse msd took a few weeks to return my old from being repaired, I just wanted to get some input from you guys first.

• Sponsors (?)

Sometimes depends on the type of vibration the box gets. Are you using the rubber mounts? I don't use them and have my box over the brake booster.
It went out before due to a loose ground wire internally from vibrations and that came from not using the rubber mounts.
At least thats what MSD said after they repaired it.

I bought a used one recently. It seemed to work just fine for a week or so. But I developed a miss around 3,500. Turned out bypassing the 6AL the miss goes away. Mine is just laying in the trunk for now. I bought a set of the rubber mounts to permantly mount the box, but I'm not sure if I'll end up keeping the thing now. :?

133232_11_full.jpg

I noticed it ran slightly smoother, a little improvement in milleage and maybe a hair more power, but really I like what it will help prevent as far as improving ignition performance so that I'm set for mods. I'm happy. It's well priced.

With a well setup ignition, you aren't really going to get much of a hp increase but your car will work tons better with the hp it has. I used to have a completley stock ignition and the car would pull hard down low but would sorta run low on breath above 4K rpms. It would be kinda waiting for me to shift instead of pulling more lol. Then i put on NGK V-power plugs, FMS 9mm wires, MSD coil, MSD 6AL, MSD cap and rotor, new PIP and ignition module. After that i noticed the car would pull soooooooo much smoother and ALOT harder up top.