Where To Apply Silicone On Headlights

IIGood

Founding Member
Aug 1, 1998
Churchton, MD
One of the headlights on my '03 (though new) is showing signs of moisture on the inside of the lens. The headlights are new units, though they are not genuine Ford parts...they're the SVE units from LMR.

This is actually the second set from them...the first set were returned under warranty and I was not pleased with the warranty return process. I've just decided to bite the bullet and work with what I've got. I keep reading about "applying a bead of silicone" to the headlights to provide a better seal, but I'd like to know exactly where to run the silicone. I've not seen pictures or videos to outline the process...do I just run it along the seam where the lens meets the housing?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You'll have to follow the "seams" and apply a bead to that. It depends on if it's OE or aftermarket as to how pronounced the seam is. I sealed my aftermarket ones and some seams were easier to keep clean than others due to the casting. I used clear outdoor silicone and it's held up well. Granted my car spends more time on jackstands than others but still. lol

Reactions: 1 user
You'll have to follow the "seams" and apply a bead to that. It depends on if it's OE or aftermarket as to how pronounced the seam is. I sealed my aftermarket ones and some seams were easier to keep clean than others due to the casting. I used clear outdoor silicone and it's held up well. Granted my car spends more time on jackstands than others but still. lol
Did your jack stands come with a turbo?
I agree with the 'outdoor' silicone, the seam is where the lens meets the back half on the outer edges of the headlight

One of the headlights on my '03 (though new) is showing signs of moisture on the inside of the lens. The headlights are new units, though they are not genuine Ford parts...they're the SVE units from LMR.

This is actually the second set from them...the first set were returned under warranty and I was not pleased with the warranty return process. I've just decided to bite the bullet and work with what I've got. I keep reading about "applying a bead of silicone" to the headlights to provide a better seal, but I'd like to know exactly where to run the silicone. I've not seen pictures or videos to outline the process...do I just run it along the seam where the lens meets the housing?

Thanks.
Before you seal them, use a blow gun and a heat gun (carefully) to get the condensation out.

An alternative is to find the lowest spot on the headlamp assembly, drill a 1/16" hole there, and let them breathe, never actually re-sealing them.

Before you seal them, use a blow gun and a heat gun (carefully) to get the condensation out.

An alternative is to find the lowest spot on the headlamp assembly, drill a 1/16" hole there, and let them breathe, never actually re-sealing them.

Yeah, I've taken the drying into account. I figure that's a pretty important step otherwise what's the point, right?

I've heard about drilling the hole as well, but I wonder if that would actually work? It seems there's a little "spout" on the assembly that lets air pass, yet they still get the condensation. I suppose a small hole couldn't hurt...

You could pull a Mattstang and never drive the car in the rain, only wash it by hand. Keeps the headlights looking tight.

:) Not a bad idea...I'm mostly there; I try not to drive it when rain is expected and it's never been washed any other way but by hand. My big issue is that it doesn't have covered storage...it's always in the elements. The downsides of townhouse living...

One headlight in my truck started developing moisture and I drilled a 1/16" hole in the bottom where the water puddled in the lowest spot, then I blew air in the hole where the bulb goes, took a couple times a day for a couple days then sealed the edges and the hole with silicone and 2 years later still good.
I did replace them this last week because of the dreaded yellow lens disease

Yeah, I've taken the drying into account. I figure that's a pretty important step otherwise what's the point, right?

I've heard about drilling the hole as well, but I wonder if that would actually work? It seems there's a little "spout" on the assembly that lets air pass, yet they still get the condensation. I suppose a small hole couldn't hurt...
The theory behind drilling the hole is that it promotes drainage of the moisture naturally. I've seen it done and the condensation come right back, and I've seen it done and condensation never return. I think headlight design is the deciding factor.

The 4th gen Trans Ams were notorious for moisture building up in the passenger side tail light for the honeycomb lights. When I owned one I drilled a few small holes in each section of the tail light and never had the issue again.

The concept is sound and seems to work. Its worth a shot on that Mustang headlight I would imagine.