Where to measure backlash on ring gear?

notchlubber

Jun 11, 2004
I was wondering where exactly I should put the tip of the dial indicator on the ring gear to measure the backlash? I have tried a few different areas, and they all differ in the reading. It seems like the curve in the teeth can skew the results. Can anybody tell me where to measure? If someone has a picture, that would be best. Thanks!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I place it on the tip of the teeth and take a reading. I always sping the ring gear over 3 or 4 times before I ck it. Take 3 readings as different places around the ring gear and use the average.

I got an average of 19.5-20 thousandths. Is it possible for my gears to have worn enough to make the backlash out of tolerance like that? They're the stock 3.08s with around 230,000 miles on them. The car's also an SSP, so I'm sure lots of those were HARD miles. :nice:

image132.jpg

also click on link for good info....http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech022.htm

Attachments

• image132.jpg
    image132.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 603
I guess I should have elaborated. I'm only checking the backlash on my stock gears, before I take them out to install some frpp 3.55s. I was just curious as to whether my stock 3.08s could have been installed with the correct backlash, but have worn away to make the backlash out of spec.

sounds quite slack to me, you probably want about ten to twelve thou. for backlash. make sure you check the contact pattern when your done. don't attempt a r&p install without some shims kickin around.