Where to mount aftermarket water temp gauge

Danny2v

Jun 24, 2019
California
Hey everyone, just got in some gauges and I'm stuck thinking about where to mount the water temp gauge. It's a electric gauge. I'm thinking to go the easy route and put it in the water jacket on the engine block but I'm concerned about the accuracy. My other options are the one I'm avoiding, drilling and tapping the intake manifold, as it will require alot of work and mess, next is to tap into the heater core line, or I've heard there is thermostat housings that have a threaded bung in it. Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone, just got in some gauges and I'm stuck thinking about where to mount the water temp gauge. It's a electric gauge. I'm thinking to go the easy route and put it in the water jacket on the engine block but I'm concerned about the accuracy. My other options are the one I'm avoiding, drilling and tapping the intake manifold, as it will require alot of work and mess, next is to tap into the heater core line, or I've heard there is thermostat housings that have a threaded bung in it. Thank you
Hi,
Just can’t lose on accurate gauge investing to second guess the less than optimal factory counterparts.:nice: I’ve also hesitated on an in block install, but using either of the (2) coolant drain plugs on the 4.6’s works well with a Brass 90’ NPT to avoid the motor mount, is accurate.
T’stat housing mount may not give you accurate temps ramping up in the block, only until 160-180* when the T’stat opens would you have actual engine coolant temps.
The Intake is the expected winner, tapping the aluminum crossover works, drawback is with no boss there, tapping it catches only a couple of threads.
What’s worked best for me on all motor’s is to find yourself a 90 Degree brass T NPT fitting and mount both old and new in the OE CTS spot. It’s extremely accurate.
Good luck!
John

Question: You said Gauge. Are you really talking about the gauge or the sensor?

If you are looking for a place to put the sensor, Here is what I did.

Reactions: 1 user