where to put engine and trans

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
I am taking out the motor of my 89 GT to put into my cyl donor car. I am taking the engine and tranny out together and I was just wondering if you guess know if there is a good way to do this? where I should put it while i am working on its new home? A friend told me that an old tire willl work. I am taking out the entire k member/front suspension as one after i pull the engine so it might be there a couple days while i prep the donor car.

• Sponsors (?)

If i had to do it, Id make a trip to Home Depot and get some 2x10's and make a box cradle. If you are handy with a circular saw, this is definitely the way to go. Cut and stacked just right, the 2x10's fit under headers and support the engine nicely. Make the rear of the box lower than the right and left sides and the trans mount can sit on the rear box side. The height in front shouldn't matter too much unless you want to be able turn the crank. Just make the front a little lower than the sides if you need the clearance in front. Some 1/4" lag bolts can bolt it all together so it won't come apart.

I agree with jrichker I'd make a cradle if you can or an old tire would work, make sure you cover up or tape up all the openings to the motor to keep un wanted dirt and critters out.....

If I understanf him correctly he wants to leave the tranny connected, so he can't bolt it to a stand, he could buy a cradle or build one as mentioned above

i thought he said he wanted to know an easy way to get the tranny and engine out as one piece, but not to store it as one piece, there isn't anything out there as far as i know that does that unless its custom like you guys said..

When I was working on the 5.0 and T-5 for my 65 Convert, I put them on a small pallet (available from any trucking co. - free - get the half size), to which I had previously mounted 4 casters from Home Depot. Extra easy to roll around the shop and work on.

I made some legs that attach to the mount holes with some casters on the bottom and just long enough so the oil pan is off the ground.It lets me move a motor around with ease but if you have the room and it is only going to be a couple of days I would just set it on the oil pan with some wood under it.