Where to start project?

txredgt

10 Year Member
Oct 26, 2009
Hey fellas,

I usually frequent the SN-95 area since that is what I have but I am looking for some pointers from those who have been through what I am thinking about and could give me some pointers. I have a project car or 2 and I have yet to figure out which one would be the smart choice to rebuild 1st. I hope I don't get bashed too bad but they are mopars actually, a 72 and 74 barracuda to be exact. The 72 is missing ALOT (no drivetrain) but the 74 is a basic 318 car with a less than awesome 3 spd auto. They both have pretty good rust on them and will need major paint and body work to get it looking at the level I want. With that said I am going to resto mod it and want a sizable elephant between the fenders, currently I have a 318 crate motor that will suffice until that point but my question is:

Where on earth do I begin with such a project. I would rather not buy parts twice and so should I start by purchasing all that 1st and then paint or what? This project won't be a 3 or even 5 year project, more like a 10 year plan to get to what I want but I want to go about doing it in the correct steps so I don't have to purchase pieces twice or 3 times over when its said and done. What are some opinions on this guys (and sorry it isn't technically a 'mustang' question but I hope it won't be moved or deleted, this is one of the few places I trust getting knowledgable information on the net) I can even post pictures of said cars if needed to gauge which car might be the better one to start with.

• Sponsors (?)

paint and interior last.

IMO, strip the best candidate down to a shell and figure out what sheet metal needs replaced.

Oh, and post pics!

:D

So, when you say strip down, do you mean media blast it down to bare metal? Can cars hold up good enough with only bare metal or should I get it primered? Would it be best to start with a car that is basically just a shell now or just get a body guy to figure out which one will take less work and go from there. Since I will be changing the complete drivetrain I may do this.
I also am well aware of tagging and bagging, might as well add more pictures than needed as well. Thanks for the input fellas. It will be my first tear down of a car and I am looking for any info and pointers I can get before starting.

STRIP it down all the way glass out wires taged and out take pics of the wires for putting back in place every thing window chanels rust out call around for some of these guys that do mobil sand blasting. if budget is no problem bring it to a shop and it you need a 4 bbl intake for the 318 let me know. My 2 cents..