Which custom cam / blower cam for my car?

Mike92GT

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
Florida
I'm gonna be replacing / fixing my engine, and figured it would be a good time to get a new custom cam that will work better with the Vortech. What would be a good cam for a 306 with ported Eddys, ported Cobra, and about 12lbs of boost? I was looking at AFM cams, is there anyone else that makes a good blower cam?

• Sponsors (?)

Mike92GT said:
I'm gonna be replacing / fixing my engine, and figured it would be a good time to get a new custom cam that will work better with the Vortech. What would be a good cam for a 306 with ported Eddys, ported Cobra, and about 12lbs of boost? I was looking at AFM cams, is there anyone else that makes a good blower cam?
I have heard of a guy on corral that does it real inexpensive like. I would search him out, at least that is what I am going to do. I believe his name is Ed Curtis??? I could be WAY off on the name, but I know he is on there and makes some good custom cams.

fiveohwblow said:
I have heard of a guy on corral that does it real inexpensive like. I would search him out, at least that is what I am going to do. I believe his name is Ed Curtis??? I could be WAY off on the name, but I know he is on there and makes some good custom cams.

Yeah , that sounds very familiar. I was gonna try and look him up as well. If I'm not mistaken, he's the owner of FTI (Flow Tech Induction) ?

1bad92lx said:
Anderson B-31 is all you need. I've run a few different AFM cams and had excellent results with them all.

An input on the N-41, how good is the drivability say below 2000 rpm? I know a friend of mine with TFS Heads/intake loved to power of his n-41, but said he needed a lot of tuning to get it to run right. When he switched to an FTI cam he only gained a few hp/tq, but had a little broader power curve.

1bad92lx said:
I've run the N-71, N-91, and the B-31. I have never had any drivability issues with any of them. The N-41 is a good cam for a mild h/c/i N/A daily driver. My buddy runs that cam in a car that he drives to work every day and he loves it.

Hows the b-31 cause thats whats in my motor now thats going to be in shortly?

The B-31 has a real good sound to it. I would compare it to almost a FMS X as far as the sound and idle quality. I really like it so far. I've got about 5,000 miles on the 306 that has the B-31. It makes boost sooner than the FMS E that it replaced and it pulls harder than the E did also. I have no cruising issues with it at all.

A buddy of mine was running a Crane custom cam with these numbers: Lift: .533” / .544” Duration: 216 / 220 degrees. It was used with a 331 and an S-Trim at 14lbs. It idled like stock because of the extra displacement, but would be a little choppy on a 306. He just took it out though because he went NA.