Which Ecu Should I Buy?

MileHi91LX

Aug 25, 2016
Hello! I've built a stock block, forged Eagle 347, X302 heads, Anderson B41 Cam, Procharger D1SC Blower. I'm thinking the Holley HP is the way to go, but there's a few other options like FastXFI, Megasquirt, etc. Any opinions out there from people who have already gone this route?

• Sponsors (?)

Unless your electronic and computer skills are above average, your best bet is the A9L or A9P that came with your car. Other EFI systems aren't going to have the level of Community Support that you need when you are starting out or have a problems that aren't in the manufacturer's FAQ.

To define "Community Support" is crucial. It is a lot of guys who have already done what you want to do and have seen what works and what doesn't. When you get away from the stock computer with add on tuners like Quarterhorse, AEM or Tweecer, the number of success stories shrinks way down. The other part of the story is that the cost and investment in time, labor and learning curve for these less common replacement aftermarket EFI systems goes way up.

MikeH686, Can you tell me a little more about the Holley HP? I'm pretty much set on it but can you recommend who to buy it from so I'm assured to get everything I need? Who did you find to tune the car or can Holley send you a download that suits your build?

Last edited:
There's several people here successfully running megasquirt, several people have run HP. All of the systems these days have their advantages, it's just comes down to what you are looking to do. If you have $2k to blow, get the nice plug and play system that is hands off. If you don't have that kind of money, the megasquirt is a good option but the user interface is substantially more time consuming and requires you to learn a lot

There's several people here successfully running megasquirt, several people have run HP. All of the systems these days have their advantages, it's just comes down to what you are looking to do. If you have $2k to blow, get the nice plug and play system that is hands off. If you don't have that kind of money, the megasquirt is a good option but the user interface is substantially more time consuming and requires you to learn a lot

I was gonna offer that, but I'm thinking the guy has already made his choice.

As for me, especially when it comes to the time here in the next month when assembly is behind me, and the notion of actually driving the car becomes reality. The fact that the ECU that is running all of the complex functions on my engine was built from a kit by me for a quarter of what a HP cost becomes all the more sweet.

MS is a pain in the ass to be sure, and the tech you get from the "factory" is atrocious. That hasn't stopped millions of people from building the kits nonetheless. I know nothing about my MSII that cant be read, and barely comprehended from an online manual. Right now, I'm freakin amazed that the car started the first time last winter almost instantly.
Since Steve entered the picture to help and he changed the OS firmware to the latest iteration, All I've managed to learn is that there is still hours of reading and learning on my part in front of me.

But I'm a smart guy.

There are also already built versions of the MS systems that can be purchased to include the MS3 which is everybit as capable as any other system currently on the market.and still only half as much as any other system at 1199.00

I see having to learn how to tune that thing pretty much the same as having to learn another language.

pero , voy a conseguir a través de él.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user