Which fuel pump to go with.

TenorPlayinGuy

Founding Member
Aug 3, 2001
Canyon Country, Ca
I currently have a 306 rebuild going back into the 87, its just a refreshed stocker with upgraded E7's and a cobra Intake. I'll be tossing on my S-trim SQ later this year, and want to be prepared for the current 331 Im prepping for later on. So my question is, What fuel pump is both quiet, and can support a forced induction power plant of roughly 450-600hp. I haven't heard any of the after market pumps and want my mustang to remain as sleeper as possible. (The fuel tank i'll be getting does allow for aftermarket pumps without using a pickup tube design)

Im hoping to find something thats
- Quiet (Don't want the whine to be too apparent. Stock noise levels preferred)
- Not too expensive
- Supports future upgrades

-Daniel

• Sponsors (?)

Not sure if 190lph is enough fuel, but I just got the ford racing unit and it is the queitest pump I have ever heard. Virtually silent. It also comes with a new bracket which has a rubber isolator on the pump. Maybe you could find the rubber isolator somewhere else because that maybe why it is so queit?

Thats the pump I currently have. Probably why I loved it so much and want another quiet pump, is because that one is so quiet.

I'll take a look at the walbro. However if it is an in-tank unit, I wont be using it. Like I said I want future upgradeability. If I cannot get the same quiet sound from an aftermarket external pump then I guess I'll have to deal with it, but thats what I'm asking.

What is the most quiet external fuel pump? A1000? etc etc.

yeah sorry, The fuel tank I'm getting is called a sleeper tank. It has a custom sump, and outlet port on the inside of the car. So i can run an external pump out of sight.

So I'm looking for an External pump that is quiet, and can hang around 500Horses with ease.

We run the aeromotive a1000 pump on a lot of forced induction stuff. It is money well spent, we always say you can run rich forever but can only run lean once. even 2 255lph pumps is pushing it on a 600hp forced induction setup. The a1000 is on the quiet side, compared to a weldon, and would be hard to hear over your exhaust.

Aeromotive pumps suck for a street car, they are loud and they burn up.

I'd use 2 walbro 255 inline pumps, if you want quiet and powerful.

But honestly, unless you are going with an aftermarket block, there isn't much reason at all to use anything more than a gss340 intake pump.
I've seen just the walbro gss340 intake with stock fuel system, power an S Trim car to 513rwhp, all by itself.
So unless that 331 is coming very soon, built from a race block, i really wouldn't blow all the money right now on an elaborate fuel system.

Will be built using a Dart Block, all forged internals, and running either 185's or Twisted wedge, haven't decided yet.

But It's also going with either a SQ or a T-trim.

Lots of stuff in the air, I just wanted to know which aftermarket external was the quietest.

But It's also going with either a SQ or a T-trim.

Lots of stuff in the air, I just wanted to know which aftermarket external was the quietest.

Then use twin walbro externals.

If you are in the market for an SQ, consider getting getting a heavy duty S, because if it's still the same way it used to be, that's the only one that's upgradeable to a T trim.

Nope not in the market (actually in the middle of selling an SQ, the 306 is going in because the project is on hold, til I can find work. (anyone need an apprentice electrician in LA County?)

The 331, is gonna have to wait til I have funds to get the block. I already have the rest of the internals. So right now, I got rid of the Blower, (sad really, but I had to) Times are getting bad.

This is more of an informative post, so I get a better idea of exactly what I want to do. I've already sound proofed the car with dynamat (and spray) cuz I want it way quieter.

Thanks for all the input fellas. I'll have to bench test a few to get a better idea later on. Or If I can find videos with sound for when the pump is priming I might be able to get a better idea.

Aeromotive pumps suck for a street car, they are loud and they burn up.

I'd use 2 walbro 255 inline pumps, if you want quiet and powerful.

But honestly, unless you are going with an aftermarket block, there isn't much reason at all to use anything more than a gss340 intake pump.
I've seen just the walbro gss340 intake with stock fuel system, power an S Trim car to 513rwhp, all by itself.
So unless that 331 is coming very soon, built from a race block, i really wouldn't blow all the money right now on an elaborate fuel system.

I hate to break it to you, but a supercharged 331 with a good set of heads needs more fuel than 2 255 pumps can put out. Also 42# injectors won't even cut it anymore. Been there, done that, blown it up. Aeromotive pumps do not suck for the street. We use them all the time! If you plumb you fuel system properly and use the fuel pump controller you won't have any problems. A common mistake is to run too small of a return line. This builds up heat in the fuel which can lead to pump failure no matter what brand!