Which gears to get?

DUDE......where are you going to drive 180mph?

Have you ever been in a Mustang at 160+

I am guessing NO. If you plan on driving 180 mph on the highway you'd better get a good life insurance policy.

Public roads are no place for that kind of speed. You will be thrown in jail if you don't die first.

You are looking into the top speed thing a little to much. And if you think a blower will make a 350-450 mustang go 180 mph you are mistaken. Do you have any idea of how NON-Aerodynamic a Fox mustang is.

All I can say is if you plan on having a Mustang that will go 160 mph. All the power to you. My Mustang does not have 300rwhp and it will go 160 mph. I know it will. I have done it. ONCE. Thats enough for me. I will spend the rest of my days in the quest for a quicker car.

If you want to SAY you have a 160 mph car thats fine. If you want to SAY you have 180 mph mustang, thats fine also. BUT THAT CALCULATOR STUFF IS FAR FROM ACTUALLY DOING IT.

When you supercharge your car and then you take it out the highway and get it going 180 mph.......and live to talk about it....post back here and let me know.

PUT THE CALCULATOR AWAY.

• Sponsors (?)

TheFleshRocket said:
if you're turning a 12.58@108 with 3.73s in a GT, then my heavier convertible with 2.73s should be good for low 13s as is. That's good news.

Have you ever even had your car to the drag strip. If your car even has 300 rwhp....you would be lucky to get into the high 13s with street tires and 2.73s.

Saying your car is good for low 13s off of what I ran is just REDICULOUS. I was running slicks and I was lauching my car @ 5100 rpm. I power shifted all 3 gear changes. My car is not just a regular street car. It lighter, the chassis is way stronger than a stock mustang, and it took me a while to get the car to run that # with that combo. It took alot of TINKERING and playing with shift points. Quick 1/4 mile times DO NOT COME EASY when you dont have alot of power.

Your me that an LX mustang is more AeroD. than a Vette..viper..camaro..new mustangs..the list go's ON AND ON.

I find that very hard to believe. Also aerodynamics is not the fox mustang only high speed problem. They are unstable at high speeds. I know this because i have driven my mustang to a high speed. I didnt HEAR it from someone. My car is lowered. HAD low profile tires.

mike keirstead said:
Put the calculator AWAY.

Mike summed it all up!

I'm running a mostly stock 86 GT, and this summer I did flowmaster, short throw shifter, and 3.73's / clutch pack rebuild. My car is an entire world different now. It sounds aggressive, shifts like a muscle car should, and it just blazes them tires. Trust me, your first gear with the 3.73's is going to knock the pants off of you the first time you open it up on the highway. At 100 MPH in 5th, my car still has all kinds of pull. You'll be in great shape if you go with the gear, so smarten up and put the calculator away, it won't matter when your buddy is pulling away from you @ the lights in an 86 IROC Gaymaro!

Red86 said:
Mike summed it all up!

I'm running a mostly stock 86 GT, and this summer I did flowmaster, short throw shifter, and 3.73's / clutch pack rebuild. My car is an entire world different now. It sounds aggressive, shifts like a muscle car should, and it just blazes them tires. Trust me, your first gear with the 3.73's is going to knock the pants off of you the first time you open it up on the highway. At 100 MPH in 5th, my car still has all kinds of pull. You'll be in great shape if you go with the gear, so smarten up and put the calculator away, it won't matter when your buddy is pulling away from you @ the lights in an 86 IROC Gaymaro!

:rlaugh: The guy wants to go 15000000000 mph.

mike keirstead said:
Have you ever even had your car to the drag strip. If your car even has 300 rwhp....you would be lucky to get into the high 13s with street tires and 2.73s.

Nope, haven't been to the strip with it. I picked up the car last Tuesday. Rest assured that once the weather warms up a bit, I'm going to round up a few buddies and head to the 1/4 mile track at Gateway International.

I do, however, think that I could hit high 13s as-is, right now, if not better. Assuming that a stock GT convertible puts out around 195rwhp and does the 1/4 mile at around 15.1 or 15.2 seconds, I think that being in the 13-second range is quite conceivable with a 50% boost in horsepower. On street tires. With 2.73s.

Right now, I only have traction problems in first, and that's on the street without warming up the tires. Partly that's probably due to the extra weight the vert has over the rear tires. And partly it's due to the Pirellis the car is wearing, which are surprisingly sticky despite only being 225s.

Saying your car is good for low 13s off of what I ran is just REDICULOUS. I was running slicks and I was lauching my car @ 5100 rpm. I power shifted all 3 gear changes. My car is not just a regular street car. It lighter, the chassis is way stronger than a stock mustang, and it took me a while to get the car to run that # with that combo.

Fair enough. All you listed were engine mods; you didn't say that you'd had to really work to get those sorts of times. What does your car weigh, and what sort of power is it making to the rear wheels?

Red86 said:
Mike summed it all up!

Let me restate this:

I've run my car up to over 5000rpm (indicated, on the stock tach) in 4th gear with 2.73s, and it was still pulling strong. Even given that the stock tach is optimistic, I have no doubt that the car will pull all the way to redline in 4th.

With 3.55s, 5th gear is a tiny bit SHORTER than 4th gear with 2.73s. So if I can redline 4th with 2.73s, I'll be OVER redline in 5th gear with 3.55s. Redline in top gear means NO MORE SPEED LEFT. If I want to know what 5th gear feels like with 3.55s on the interstate, I can just drive along in 4th gear with my 2.73s. I've done that, and I don't really like it. I wanna raise the revs in 5th gear, but not as high as what 4th is now.

And I haven't noticed any instability winding out 4th gear.

I dunno if you guys are just "too responsible" to really open up your cars, or if you live in areas that don't have nice long straight stretches of road that beckon high-speed runs, but I do run my car up to well over 100mph on a pretty regular basis. I hit almost 5000rpm in 4th just on the way home tonight. My Gixxer sees over 160 on a semi-regular basis. Yes, on public highways. Obviously I'm doing something right or I'd be posting this message from jail or the morgue.

If you guys are all nuts over running super-short gears just to shave a tenth or two off your 1/4 mile time, so be it. As is, my car is quicker than ANY of my friends' rides, and it's quick enough to put one heck of a grin on my face when I romp on it. While I'd like to know what it will turn in the quarter, I'm not basiing the car's entire worth on those numbers.