Which Headers Will Fit? BBK Equal or Un-Equal?

Joey5.0

Feb 13, 2006
Usa
I am very Confused. I keep getting different answers. I want to buy a BBK Offroad H-pipe, and i need to know what matching bbk Headers to get.....The Shorty Un-Equals, or the Equal Length...?

Also need to know where i can get some Good gaskets not the crappy BBKs.

• Sponsors (?)

Change your plugs if you go with equals tho man. I've heard there a nightmare to change with equals since the tubes bend around and what not. A couple extra ponies imo isn't worth it if you start having problems and foul some plugs.

I had Equal Length, I didn't have a problem changing them. I figured the unequal length's are a bit easier.

Either one of them headers will fit the normal offroad H pipe.

Try FEL-1415 gaskets...

I may be wrong here, but if he's asking that question, I think he may be confused on what the difference between equal and unequal length is.

Un equal length means the header primaries just run from the mounting flange to a collector and are simply designed to fit, like your stock headers.

Equal length means that each individual primary tube is the same length designed to be a little more like a long tube header. Dont know for sure, but equal length's are supposed to give an increase in both Tq and HP.

As stated above, both will bolt to your o/r H as long as its designed for a shorty style header.

Quote;(Also need to know where i can get some Good gaskets not the crappy BBKs.)click on first link below for gaskets...and you need to realize alot of times its not the gasket that causes the problems its the bolts working loose...click on second link in my opinion these are the best header bolts you can buy..

copper exhaust gasket..
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...eId=10001&categoryId=13933&searchItemId=17091

header bolts.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...eId=10001&categoryId=18991&searchItemId=41193

Joey5.0 said:
Will those Jegs Gaskets work on the Un-equals?

The gaskets are designed to fit the ports of the heads and headers, They have nothing to do with equal or unequal length headers. All you really have to decide is which one you want.

The ease of unequal length shortys and the possible loss of a few HP and TQ

or

The slight additional complications of equal length headers for the possibility of a few extra HP and TQ.

Make that decision 1st, use the gaskets that come with the headers or buy some designed for an EFI 5.0 and your done.

I think I remember seeing a dyno test a few years back of equal length vs unequal length (both shorties). If I recall, one made a little more top end power, and the other a little more down low. It wasn't much of a difference.

I have had both equal and unequal length shorties on my cars, and in my oppinion, the equal length were a pain in the ass. They would be a lot easier to install if you remove your smog pump and all its hoses. From what I remember, spark plug changes were not fun.

I always recommend unequal length shorties. They are a bit cheaper, and a lot easier to deal with. If you are planning on keeping your smog equipment, I would definitely NOT recommend equal lengths.

Jeff

are you going to run the nasty used stock gasket u mean? i would just get a standard felpro, no need for a race gasket or anything. I have had great luck with a cheapy felpro gasket.