Which Heads Should I Go With?

BlakeusMaximus

Still got to try a little lube on my speedo head
5 Year Member
Jul 12, 2017
Hey guys. So Im looking to put some heads on my car. Ive got an Explorer intake with EGR passage and not sure what heads to go with. I didn't have time to pull the heads off the Explorer when I pulled the intake, which is fine because I plan to run the smog equipment and Ive read that those heads (GT40P) don't have the passages for the smog tube anyways. I know I have to drill and tap the lower intake for it and that's fine. Ive looked on LMR and cant seem to find heads that will work with the smog stuff. Is anyone out there that is in the same situation as me or has done what Im trying to do? Your feedback will be greatly appreciated. Not looking to build a 400 hp motor, just something that will give a noticeable jump in power. Weekend driver. Not planning on super charger or anything like that. Good streetable car.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

You can still run the smog equipment, but just bypass the plumbing running to the heads. It's useless anyway unless you are running an OEM h-pipe with 4 cats. If running a 2-cat pipe, you really can just plumb to the H-pipe and call it a day.

This of course assumes you don't have a visual inspection. But I wouldn't let the lack of thermactor ports stop me if I wanted to run 40P's.

Check this thread out for more elaboration as I plan on doing this with my TFS170's which do have the smog ports, but without the pre-cats, I consider it pointless.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...p-hose-routing-thinking-out-loud-here.900778/

Reactions: 1 user
So the holes in the back of the 40p's would just have to be plugged? What exactly do you use. What aftermarket heads do you recommend that are reasonable on price and performance? TFS heads are aftermarket, right?

So pretty much I can just bolt those on not worry about that crossover tube and just plumb the air diverters to the TAD/TAB solenoids and midpipe? Are the GT40p heads worth putting on or do you suggest aftermarket like what you have? I'm leaning towards aftermarket because they are new and wouldn't have to worry about having them rebuilt. Ive been looking at aftermarket heads and some say not CARB legal. This means it wont pass a visual inspection, right?

I didn't go with the 40ps because of the additional cost of doing work to the heads. New springs, and machining costs made me consider aftermarket AL heads.

The TFS 170s are carb legal, and have a good reputation so you may want to consider those if the budget allows. You will also need new rockers, different lenght pushrods as well, so the cost is not just the heads

I didn't go with the 40ps because of the additional cost of doing work to the heads. New springs, and machining costs made me consider aftermarket AL heads.

The TFS 170s are carb legal, and have a good reputation so you may want to consider those if the budget allows. You will also need new rockers, different lenght pushrods as well, so the cost is not just the heads
^^^^^^^ Listen to Mike, he's da man! After spending hundreds of dollars to make your 40P heads work, you will wish they were aluminum. There are good used heads out there if you search hard enough. Be wary of the chinese garbage on Ebay...

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah the additional work is what I wanted to avoid as well. Ill check the trick flows out. Are they on your car now?

No, I'm still gathering parts for my combo. The TFS heads, comp gold rockers, tmoss ported GT40 lower intake, cobra upper, and still debating my cam...probably a custom grind even though I have a TFS1.

My GT40ps sit in the basement being used as literal doorstops. I gave up trying to sell them as it just wasn't worth my time and effort dragging them out of the basement

Well I'm glad I didn't waste my time pulling those 40p's off that explorer then. Sounds like its worth spending the money on good heads. That's definitely a job requires a lot of thought and money put into it.

I went with the Trick Flow 170 heads, happy with them after a year now. The heads come with a plug each for the front of the head to bolt on your accessories, if your not gonna use the cross over you'll need to purchase 2 more plugs, or slap a bolt in or whatever.
20160805_173633-1.jpg

That's probably one of the biggest expenses on these cars, except body and paint work. I like what Jersey Joe did, bought the whole damn thing.

The TFS 170cc heads are the best. However, that doesn't mean the AFR 165cc, Edelbrock Performer RPM, and Gt-40x heads are bad. They are all probably within 5hp of each other. Tune and cam selection are going to be a greater factor. They are all good brands, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
I just didn't want any future headaches, I'm not as savvy as some of these other guys on here and figured Trick Flow took the guessing out of it for me. It all fit together like it should and it's running like it should.

Reactions: 1 users