Which Heads Should I Go With?

I've done a lot of heads in my day. I can tell you hands down the GT-40x heads are going to bolt in the easiest. Not saying they are the best price, or the best performing though.

Kurt

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not in it for the end result. The journey to get there is a lot of the fun for me. I enjoy debating part selection and the day I pull my motor to detail the engine and engine bay and install it all.

If I did it a few times already, I'd buy a car done...but it's been 15 years or so since I put an engine together. I can't wait

The TFS 170cc heads are the best. However, that doesn't mean the AFR 165cc, Edelbrock Performer RPM, and Gt-40x heads are bad. They are all probably within 5hp of each other. Tune and cam selection are going to be a greater factor. They are all good brands, and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.
Kurt
This, 100%.
My Dad's car runs "simple" out of the box gt40x heads and OTB GT40 intake... 1-3/4" long tubes and a custom cam... 300hp/340tq at the wheels, and amazing tq down low... from 1000rpm to 4000rpm it absolutely puts mine to shame, and I make ~370hp/370tq at the wheels. Mine runs a lot harder when acting like Burt Reynolds... but around town and just rolling into it his is a friggen blast to drive. It's hard to belive it's a little 302... you would think it has an extra 60cu.in.

Reactions: 1 user
My personal experience on a 302 has been 3 different GT40X headed combos, 1 AFR165 combo, and my current combo. All worked out very nicely. If I were starting over again and building a 302/306 combo, I'd try out the 11R 170s or 11R 190s, because I've seen some super impressive results from them. Granted, they are $$$

However, if I were forced to choose between the old "fast as cast" 170s and the AFRs, give me the in-line AFR head. They were equivalent or slightly edged the TFS FAC 170s, and came with premium components. But, I remember the threads where claiming one was superior to the other started WWIII on these and other forums. I liked the fact that I reused the rockers and pushrods that were on the preceding GT40X combo without issue, and that combo dynoed 311/330 with a tame 224/228 550 lift cam before porting the cobra intake. GT40X heads are great quality, but they don't seem to make the power that otherwise equivalent TFS/AFR motors do.

If I were building on a budget and a couple hundred dollars was make or break for my build, then I'd keep my eyes on the market for the best deal on GT40X/Edelbrok/AFR/TFS aluminum heads and go with what I found.