Which intake, mostly stock engine

• Sponsors (?)

If you have the stock gt E7 heads the best bang for the buck will be sending your stock lower to Tmoss to get it ported.

Do a search under his name and you will get ALOT of good information/dyno numbers as to why I suggest this.

I'd rather have the Edel any day :nice:
cause
The Cobra runs outta breath at 5K :notnice:

You R E A L L Y should think long and hard about your plans for
that Stang in this case :)

IIRC ... With the Edel line these days since they dropped the RPM :shrug:

You can't just switch the uppers any more :shrug:

Someone please confirm if I got this wrong :D

Grady

If you have the stock gt E7 heads the best bang for the buck will be sending your stock lower to Tmoss to get it ported.

Do a search under his name and you will get ALOT of good information/dyno numbers as to why I suggest this.

+1

You buy a used stock intake for a few bux and send it to TMoss. When you get it back, do the swap and sell the one you have on there now. :nice:

I would contact Tmoss first as sometimes he has cores already ported ready to go out...you just send him yours and he returns you an already ported one. Talk about turn around time...

If all your going to do is an intake...do a search on the Tmoss name. He has a link in his sig with dyno graphs, pics, first hand accounts of users as well as flow rates for comparable intakes. The lower is the bottle neck of your combo.

If you like the looks of the Cobra or Performer, you can use them as they both flow right at the same 210cfm in stock form. Porting the stock lower intake on yours will get flow up to 190-200cfm range which is way more than the 150-160cfm stock heads flow. Either will work for you.

well no offense to T-moss but theres alot more to intakes than just flow numbers and smoothing transitions. Things like runner cross section, runner length, plenum volume etc all have a great effect on accoustical characteristics. So while I don't doubt he can get more flow out of a stock intake and perhaps pick up a little power it's not the same as a GT-40 style or other performance oriented intake that was designed to be such.

So... Is the cobra intake comparable to an edelbrock on a stockish bottom end?

my choice... ported and polished.

mustang8-9-07002.jpg

Attachments

• mustang8-9-07002.jpg
    mustang8-9-07002.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 50
well no offense to T-moss but theres alot more to intakes than just flow numbers and smoothing transitions. Things like runner cross section, runner length, plenum volume etc all have a great effect on accoustical characteristics. So while I don't doubt he can get more flow out of a stock intake and perhaps pick up a little power it's not the same as a GT-40 style or other performance oriented intake that was designed to be such.

So... Is the cobra intake comparable to an edelbrock on a stockish bottom end?

I'm well aware of all that - visit my website read some tech and look around and download the "helpful calculations" spreadsheet in the download section as all that stuff is there. A properly ported stoc intake will flow 200cfm and make more torque/power below 4,500 rpm than a stock Cobra. They have made 280-295RWHP and torque in the 320-330lb-ft range - dyno sheets are in the photo secction. That's a lot more than "pick up a little power".......and when looking at average power over the rpm range it is "the same as a GT40 - style" intake although the GT40 will make more power above 4,500 (typicall noses over ~5,500) but less below that.

Stock for Stock, the GT40/Cobra and Performeer are essentially the same.

IF you keep the stock heads then the cobra are all you need... I went cobra due to price... no intake elbow needed, cheap to buy... I think I spent $250 total for mine incuding gaskets, oil, a couple o-rings for the injectors, EVERYTHING....

And it was a nice hit in the pants...

Now I am wanting more...

the typhoon intake is the best bang for buck out of both of those intakes. its basically a eddy rpm intake. if you can do some minor gasket matching yourself then its the same. i have one on my stock bottom end and stock heads with stock headers. i went 24lb injectors w/ 65mm tb and 76mm mass air. i noticed a huge difference in power especially midrange and high end.

i would go with the performer or TFS Streetheat at the least. That way if you decide you want more you can grow into them a little more then the cobra. There been a lot of guys on here that upgraded from a cobra to a tfs. I have a train of thought go big at first then you only gotta buy stuff once lol

Porting the stock lower intake on yours will get flow up to 190-200cfm range which is way more than the 150-160cfm stock heads flow.

The deal's even sweeter if you port the stock E7's as well as the lower intake, as I found out last week. The engine pulls well up to the 5350rpm shift point but it's the improvement in low/medium rpm torque that really planted a big :D on my face.
I like torque and the dyno graphs on Tom's own site show that a ported stock intake makes more torque than the Cobra up to 4200rpm. That's a difference you can definitely feel when you're trying to overtake slower vehicles on the highway in overdrive with the engine spinning at less than 2500rpm.
Something to consider if your car's a daily driven street machine rather than a drag queen.