Which intake would be best for a 393?

Zero_chance

Founding Member
May 29, 2001
Maricopa, AZ
Im starting to get a parts list going for what I need to buy over the next year and the last main component I havent decided on yet is the intake. Engine is going to be a 393 with AFR 185 or 205s (still on the fence about the heads), FTI cam, 75 mm throttle body, abaco mass air flow, 42 pound injectors, etc. Ive heard a lot of good things about the Trick Flow R intake, but not much about any other one designed for the 351. Anyone with a big cube stroker, what are you running? Like it, dislike it? Pros, cons, etc. Looking for some input. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

What rpm range are you looking at? HP/TQ goals? For a mild street car, the TF R should be fine. The TF box intake or Victor 5.8 are good choices as well, but you might have problems with hood clearance. I think the Spyder intake from CHP will probably give you the most top end HP, but you might sacrifice some low end torque....Not that it really matters with a 393 though. ;)

I have the Victor 5.8. It has plenty of torque and pulls past 6000 rpms. It is a "race" intake though, there's no PCV or EGR connections. I would have went with the TF box intake, but it wouldn't fit under my hood.

I do agree with the others too. Ed can let you know which intake would be best for you.

Yep. I have the same victor jr intake but mine only pulls to 5200. I am making over 500 HP at that range to so its ok, lol. If I did it again I would want to try the 225's instead of 205's and a spider. If I am at 430rwhp now I wonder how far it would take me revving to 6000 instead of 5200?

I definitely will consult him when the time is ready to grind the cam, I was just looking for some opinions on what other people are running so I can do my own research. As for fitment issues, Ill be running a Cervinis cowl induction hood, has a 3 inch rise to it so I should be able to squeeze any intake under there without a problem. As for RPM, max it will ever see would likely be 5500 - 6000 RPM. Power numbers, Id like to be between 350 and 400 at the wheels.

As for the heads, Im on the fence so to speak about the 185 or 205s for a few reasons. Maybe one of you guys with a little more experience can shed some light on the subject. The first thing that kept me leaning toward 185s is theyre emissions legal and as far as I know, the 205s are not. I live in CT which still requires emissions, though it wouldnt be too much trouble to transfer my license, reg, etc back to MA where emissions testing has gone the way of the dodo. The second thing was that the description for the 205s lists there RPM range suited for the 3500 - 8000 rpm area. Seems more for the high end desired for drag racing which I dont currently do and dont see myself doing in the future. I like to stay out of the spotlight.

Thanks for the input.

I definitely will consult him when the time is ready to grind the cam, I was just looking for some opinions on what other people are running so I can do my own research. As for fitment issues, Ill be running a Cervinis cowl induction hood, has a 3 inch rise to it so I should be able to squeeze any intake under there without a problem. As for RPM, max it will ever see would likely be 5500 - 6000 RPM. Power numbers, Id like to be between 350 and 400 at the wheels.

I have a 3" hood as well.
This is the reason I didn't go with the box intake.
engine2.jpg

I'd say the 185's and TFS R intake would get you in the 350-375rwhp range with crazy amounts of torque.