Votes: 12 29.3%

Votes: 25 61.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Sponsors (?)

It used to be that nobody made a good piston for a 347 and the wrist pin always crossed into the oil ring and that gave 347s a bad rep on burning oil. Now there's a few out there who make good pistons that get around this. Personally if i were going for boost, i'd go with a 331, but all motor i'd be going for the most cubes possible.

mricci said:
can anyone give reasons why they are picking one or the other.

My reason is that a 347 pushes the stroke just about to it's limits, whereas a 331, although not a huge difference, is maybe a little safer but i can't say i really have anything to go on there. I said a 331 for boost because whatever cubes are missing when compared to a 347 will easily be made up for with the power adder. Then like i said before, if i were going strictly all motor i'd want all the cubes i could create. In a perfect world if i were going all motor i'd have a Manowar block and 426ci from a long stroke 302-based block. Their stock height 302 Manowar can still handle 370ci.

sbftech said:
its all in the engine builder

OK school me on this then...everything i've read says that crossing into the oiling ring creates oil consumption problems. I'm not saying you're wrong but why are they going away from this with the newer stroker kits?

Sorry to hijack but maybe this'll help the thread out as well.

well if you were a company that produced stroker kits, you have no idea who you are selling that kit to, all it takes is a dozen wannabe engine builders to have no clue what there doing, slap it together and then go bitch on the internet that their "xyz stroker kit burns oil" and so the stigma starts. You dont think the designers have just firgured out how to design a piston to keep the ring out of the land do you?

sbftech said:
well if you were a company that produced stroker kits, you have no idea who you are selling that kit to, all it takes is a dozen wannabe engine builders to have no clue what there doing, slap it together and then go bitch on the internet that their "xyz stroker kit burns oil" and so the stigma starts. You dont think the designers have just firgured out how to design a piston to keep the ring out of the land do you?

Well no i guess not....it just seems kinda stupid that if it's an issue at all, and if they know how to not do it that way, then just don't do it :shrug:

Besides Chevy engines suck :rlaugh: I have nothing better to add to this topic :lol:

sbftech said:
its all in the engine builder

What do you know, Jim :rolleyes:

:p

It all depends on the induction parts as to which will make more power.

Not that you'll really get much of an answer on this site with all the (in)experience. All you WILL get is internet hear-say from guys/gals who NEVER done it.

Grn92LX said:
What do you know, Jim :rolleyes:

:p

It all depends on the induction parts as to which will make more power.

Not that you'll really get much of an answer on this site with all the (in)experience. All you WILL get is internet hear-say from guys/gals who NEVER done it.

That's true....i'll admitt i've never built one of either, but i'm a nerd and i read a lot...that's at least something :shrug: Reading does still teach people things.

Status
Not open for further replies.