Which mass air/etc for 331 combo?

makoto

Founding Member
Dec 8, 2001
USA
Hey,

I'm running a new NA combo, but I'm wondering what my best bet is for mass air and whether I should go for an AFM power pipe as well?

Here is the new combo:
CHP 331, TFS Stage 2, AFR 185's, 10.5cr, 30lb injectors, Performer RPM II, Accufab 70mm TB, C&L 76mm, stock airbox with K&N filter.

I had originally planned on running a PMAS 80mm mass air, but whenever I put it on it throws a code, which a Ford tech told me was basically lack of air (even in Houston). The car runs much better with the C&L, but it hunts around a bit too much for my taste, probably due to the inlet tube. I've been having some issues with the car dying and dropping below idle when coming to a stop, which really annoys me, and I'm wondering if it's related to the C&L (it will consistently die with AC on in traffic).

I am going to get the car tuned, but I wanted to have it in a final configuration before, so what would you recommend on this combo? Is the stock airbox holding me back? Should I get a power pipe setup? And what about the mass air? Would a smaller PMAS be better for this combo?

Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

well buds, I have a 331 that I just finished this week and got it running and roadworthy. I have srp pistons/rods etc. , Edelbrock performer heads (1.94) Comp Cams NX264HR nitrous cam, 30lb injectors, paxton reg., 1" TFS spacer, Performer RPM II, 75mm Edelbrock TB/spacer, running with a A9S cpu in an 86 with conversion. I bought a JLT intake instead of the Anderson because my fenderwell looked like swiss chesse as it was and didn't want to make more modifications. As well the JLT came with the matching "big mouth filter" and was a little lower priced - this cost me too much already......

Anyways I have the Pro-M 75mm chrome bullet which is relcoated to the fenderwell. Car idles great and runs hard too. The only problem I have is a hesitation going into 5 gear after stomping on it. Of course the idle will hang too which I need to figure out. Have you had problems like that?

HPIM0568.jpg

Thanks for the response. I think after doing some reading and checking my options, I might avoid the AFM pipe for now. It's definitely pricey, and honestly I'm hesitant to throw the filter into the fenderwell, as I want the car to be able to handle any weather, without fear of sucking up water. I think I might get the PMAS 75mm, using the stock box and the existing C&L tube to the throttle body.

I looked up the JLT pipe but I couldnt find one for a Fox. Did you buy an 94-95 pipe and fit it? And how far does the filter hang in the fenderwell?

I havent had any hesitation like you are mentioning with the C&L. I did get some major hesitation around 3k with the 80mm PMAS I had on, but the car was never tuned with it on, and not to mention it threw the lack of air code.

Yep that's the one. I took it out cruise night for the first time last night - oh baby she goes! Some minor details to work out however...........

I bought the JLT from a dealer in Calgary:
http://www.themustangshop.ca/product/302277/300357

It will work on 86-93 5.0's.

It was easy to put together but you will be required to trim the hole where the air box goes into fenderwell as it is one BIG pipe! took only 5 minutes to trim it up right. And yes the filter goes in the fenderwell pretty far as well. The MAC I had was at the very top of the fender which would be best if you are worried about weather.