Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aftrbrnr

Whitey cashier gave me the wrong change at the sup
Founding Member
Feb 19, 2000
Canaduh
Okay, after calculating my budget, I have figured out two mods that would make a heck of a lot of a difference on my car.

The first are GT-40 Xtra Swirl Aluminum heads, or some other high-performance cylinder heads. I know that besides power adders, heads give you the most horsepower gain of any mod.

Other then that, I could also go for a T-5 swap, since my car is an AOD.

Which mod would you say would help out more?

• Sponsors (?)

You could make the AOD perform well if you wanted to. If you want a 5 speed then I say do the 5 speed swap. If you don't mind keeping the AOD get the heads. If you are buying heads then you should seriously consider another set of heads if you plan of spending the money on aluminum. Edelbrock, AFR, Brodix, Holley, TFS....etc will ALL out perform Gt-40s for a little more money. If it was my car I would get the 5 speed because I hate AODs. But I am not you.

Mike

I voted for the 5 speed swap, however, don't get the T-5 unless you can get one cheap...I would go for a Tremec since once you're ready to upgreade to H/C/I you won't have to worry about the tranny. As much as I'm a fan of FORD RACING parts...they are over-priced. For the money there are better flowing heads such as AFR...although GT-40X heads with some minor porting to the exhaust side will flow just as good as the bigger heads out there. Personally when I had my AOD along with my mods I was not impressed with my car's performance...than I get a 5 speed swap and now I have no traction till 3rd. However, a swap is not cheap...you'll probably will be looking at about $2,000+ on parts alone...not including labor.

Five-speed swap, it'll make the car a lot more fun to drive overall. Heads would probably net you more power, but unless your AOD is already built, you're gonna kill it sometime. And like I said, manual is more fun on the street. T5 swap was the best mod I've done yet.

Ash

Im going to vote for the heads. the reason is that if you get a set of heads, you can always have the power, then you can make it a 5 speed another time in the spring or summer. i dont know why everyone wants a 5spd so bad, sometimes i wish i had an auto so that i didnt miss gears at the track :(

G Force T5, hands down. Personally, the engine will be the last thing i modify. Everyone's got a hardon for more power, but seem to forget that it's what's after the engine that gets the power to the ground.

I'd go with the heads, but for a different reason than cost or performance -having done both, the head swap was much easier and less aggravating. Having said that, the 5-speed is much more fun to drive, but the heads made a much bigger performance difference. They're really two completely different mods, in my opinion. I'd agree with whoever it was that said that if you're planning significant build up on the engine later though, don't go with a stock T-5 if you do the trans swap. Get one of the aftermarket beefed up T-5's or a Tremec. And if you're going to do the heads, just go with the AFR 165's if you've got that kind of cash. You'll never regret that! Actually, the only reason I can see to go with Ford heads is if you're trying to keep the car 100% Ford.

Good luck!

Matt

After riding in my friend's mostly stock 88 5 speed, I would say the t5 swap will give you a good seat of the pants increase in acceleration. I hate my AOD, and will do the swap- money, time and donor-car willing.

I just finished my t-5 swap on my 91 LX...$2800 installed w/ a refurbished tremec w/ 1 year warranty. It completely changed the performance of my car. I can get up in the right RPM range and my car hauls now compared to the AOD. I didn't want an AOD but that black interior was just too hard to find so I opted for the interior...well now I have the 5-speed and it's FABULOUS. that's my vote.