WHich motor lighter....Stock 302 or 4.6L DOHC??

• Sponsors (?)

I thought the '03+ Cobra got an iron block for durability?

I was under the impression 96-01 Cobras got an aluminum block.

As for the explorers, i think they get an aluminum block 4.6L SOHC while all other versions have an iron block.

I could be wrong as i forget what block is under the hood on my GT.

I also can't remember if my '93 Mark 8 had an aluminum block DOHC motor in it?

So do the 96-CObras get an aluminum block??

Reason i'm asking is because someday i would like to swap in a 4.6L DOHC and T-56 into my Fox. I just want to know if i will adding weight to the nose or removing weight.

Mustang5L5 said:
I thought the '03+ Cobra got an iron block for durability?

I was under the impression 96-01 Cobras got an aluminum block.

As for the explorers, i think they get an aluminum block 4.6L SOHC while all other versions have an iron block.

I could be wrong as i forget what block is under the hood on my GT.

I also can't remember if my '93 Mark 8 had an aluminum block DOHC motor in it?

You have a romeo block...it is iron...

03/04 Cobra's are cast iron blocks...

Here is some good info on the modular engines fyi:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techarticles/mufp_0509_swap/index.html

Well I just pulled a 96 DOHC Cobra motor (Factory Alum Block) off the stand, complete long block no intake, and if I was a betting man it is way heavier then the 302.

It was quite a tight fit...I think the 99+ models have a little more room in the engine bays.

But it looks awesome on the stand, big and wide like a big block

93 teal terror said:
My Mach 1 has an aluminum block

COol, i was just going to ask that. I think an '01 Cobra or 03-04 Mach 1 motor would be a good fit.

I'd love to do an '03 Cobra motor, but they are just too expensive right now. Maybe the price of used motors will come down in the future.

Not starting anything, just need to decide if i want to invest in buying some AL heads for the 302...or doing something different. If i chose different, i'll just continue to roll around on a bolt-on 302 for a few more years while i gather parts. I was going to buy a K-member, so now is the time to decide because i would need to get one designed for modular swaps.

Just researching right now

original.aspx

:hail2:
To the best of my knowledge 99 and 01 cobra motors are aluminum too, just the 03/04 cobra motors are cast iron

I thought about swapping in a 4.6 but I really do like the pushrod motors better, I just need h/c/i on mine and ill be set.

The more i drive modulars, the more i just love how they rev. I've driven N/A cobras and love the sound and high winding nature. I just think they'd do well in a light fox body.

I have nothing against the 5.0....i just want something unique and something to "excercise" my mechanical ability.

Anyway a project like this is years away, so don't excect to see anything come of it anytime soon. If i can get a good deal on a Mod DOHC soon though, it's going on a stand!

Hey guys i am 100% positive that an aluminum Modular block would weigh more than a 302 stock block. As for the heads the DOHC heads are about 70 pounds and the SOHC are about 55-60 pounds. The blocks for modular motors dont matter if there DOHC OR SOHC. its all in the heads. And with me pulling a stock 302 and a DOHC mach 1 block with 2000 cobra R heads on it the Mach motor was deffently heavier.