Which One, Really

joetrainer31

15 Year Member
Mar 31, 2013
SC
I've been a Mustang fan and driver since 1993 when I bought my first brand new '93 5.0. Between then and now I've had 7 or 8 Mustangs built to various levels: from headers back exhaust only, to 351 transplants, to restoration work. All of my cars have been pushrods.

I sold my most recent Mustang, after an exceedingly difficult resto-mod, late last year (cf. Nasty Ninety Notch). Currently, I'm researching pros and cons of some vehicle choices. I'm going to ask you all for your input on two options I'm considering right now. One of them is not a Mustang, but as long as I've been a member here I've grown to value everyone's input.

I'm looking for the most bang for the buck. The car will be a daily driver. I may do some upgrades, but nothing too crazy -just minimal. Given the usage context do you think option 1, or option 2 and why did you come to your decision?

1) 2001 Cobra
2) 2001-2002 Z28 SS

Thank you...ready...go!

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

I think the head and leg room,as well as getting in/getting out of the Cobra makes it a winner over the Camaro in my book...
Then you add in all the other stuff like the 4V and 300+ Hp and it's a landslide victory :D

I think the head and leg room,as well as getting in/getting out of the Cobra makes it a winner over the Camaro in my book...
Then you add in all the other stuff like the 4V and 300+ Hp and it's a landslide victory :D
I've heard about the interior issues with the Camaro. As far as numbers go I know the Cobra is 320/317. The SS is 325/345. Their weight is roughly the same. Do the power numbers affect your decision and why or why not.

Not trying to aggravate, just trying to get another's input.

To be honest- I have no doubts that a stock 01-02 Camaro would out run a stock Cobra of the same year. And it wouldn't surprise me if a Camaro performs better on a road course- auto cross- drag strip. But I still would rather daily drive the Cobra over the Camaro. I'm a Big guy,so having leg room and head room is key for me,and having a car that rides fairly smooth is a luxury I enjoy lol Every Camaro I've been in sat way low,was hard to get in/out of,and beat ya to death on any pavement that wasn't perfect . So the Cobra gets my vote
:)
The question I have for you is- What is your criteria for the new vehicle you want? What's your pros and cons list?

To be honest- I have no doubts that a stock 01-02 Camaro would out run a stock Cobra of the same year. And it wouldn't surprise me if a Camaro performs better on a road course- auto cross- drag strip. But I still would rather daily drive the Cobra over the Camaro. I'm a Big guy,so having leg room and head room is key for me,and having a car that rides fairly smooth is a luxury I enjoy lol Every Camaro I've been in sat way low,was hard to get in/out of,and beat ya to death on any pavement that wasn't perfect . So the Cobra gets my vote
:)
The question I have for you is- What is your criteria for the new vehicle you want? What's your pros and cons list?
Thanks for the comparison!

Desires and Facts:
- Not a big guy. Interior room a non-issue.
- Want a "muscle car" with a v8.
- Manual Trans is desired.
- Not Termi money (e.g., $20k-30k).
- Stock or close to it, not modded out.
- Able to receive some minor bolt ons.
- Reliable!
- OBD2. Tired of OBD1 & old school diag.
- I don't drive daily, but the car should be daily friendly.
- Performance still relative today.
- Handheld tuners available.
- Aftermarket available.
- Forums available.
- Love torque.
- No love for a sweaty, hot, uncomfortable, rattle trap, I'm not 20 anymore.

Some Pros/Cons:

- Familiar w/Ford products.
- Not familiar w/Chevy products, except that I used to see them in my rear view a lot (in mid 90s)
- Cobra has less performance stock, only it's gearing (327:1) helps stay competitive w/F-body. (would still want 355:1)
- Camaro has more performance stock. Love the torque (would still want 342:1 vs stock 273:1).
- Camaro, w/a gear change, is eating the Cobra alive.
- Cobra, w/a gear change still looses to Camaro, but looks better doing it, lol.

So, I'm struggling between familiarity w/Ford and better performance w/Chevy (in this scenario). Hope that answers your question.

I guess the only recommendation I have left-is to drive a Camaro and see how you like it.

Maybe this article will aide you with your decision-

https://www.google.com/amp/www.moto.../2002/camaro-ss-mustang-cobra-comparison/amp/
Thanks! That was a really helpful article. I saw that I was wrong about the Camaro's rear ratio. It is already at 342:1. The Cobra is indeed 327:1. Although the two vehicles are built with two, seemingly different philosophies (e.g., the SS is muscle, the Cobra is a sports car), the numbers are reasonably close.

Clearly, gears don't increase power, they simply multiply it quicker, but it seems that if the Cobra received 355:1 gears that it's numbers (i.e., times) would be about the same as the Camaro's numbers. That changes a few things in the equation. I thought the Camaro had 273s, but maybe just the older years. However, it has 342s and more displacement than the Cobra. Yet, it's beating the Cobra, but not by a blowout. It seems Ford was doing more with less -still.

The interior makes a difference to me as I have back problems. It seems that the testers liked the Cobra's interior better. I've owned an SN95 before, it's interior was comfortable enough, this Cobra's seems almost identical.

So, at the moment the Cobra has a slight edge in meeting my desires in a car, but it might come down to availability of quality specimens. I still need to test drive a Camaro. However, I may not be able to depending on where I buy one from (e.g., eBay, classified, etc).

Had a friend that bought a Camaro after his 1999 Cobra was wrecked and he complained about how much harder it was to work on the engine. I remember him being especially pissed that the alternator was down under the engine rather than on the top as most cars are. I actually looked at them to maybe buy while looking for a 1999-2004 GT's too. I could not find a nice example for my budget and decided I really liked the Mustang better anyway after driving both on test drives and the discussion on his previous ownership of the Z28. They are both great cars though and could live quite well with either.

Had a friend that bought a Camaro after his 1999 Cobra was wrecked and he complained about how much harder it was to work on the engine. I remember him being especially ****ed that the alternator was down under the engine rather than on the top as most cars are. I actually looked at them to maybe buy while looking for a 1999-2004 GT's too. I could not find a nice example for my budget and decided I really liked the Mustang better anyway after driving both on test drives and the discussion on his previous ownership of the Z28. They are both great cars though and could live quite well with either.
Ease of maintenance is certainly important.

Sooooo...... Own a Cobra yet? :D
Lol. Not yet. I'm in the planning and research stages. I do not want to jump on a hunk of junk, like the last car. I need to take plenty of time and wait until the right deal comes around; if it ever does.

Side note: I did recently see a video of an 01 Cobra vs a stock 2012 GT. The 01 stayed about a nose ahead of the GT on a dig or roll. The Cobra had 430 gears (too steep for me), CAI, Off-Road X, cat-back. That's it. Not too bad and no tune mentioned. It seems that the car can be relevant in 2017.

It really depends on what body style of what car you like and what platform your partial with.What car do you like the most? I would start looking for a 2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 or SS as they are underrated from the factory. They have the potential to make a lot of power and are fun to mod too. Remember that these cars have their own issues/problems just like our Ford Mustangs have their own issues/problems. I almost bought a 1997 Chevrolet Camaro SS and I wish that I did.

It really depends on what body style of what car you like and what platform your partial with.What car do you like the most? I would start looking for a 2001-2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 or SS as they are underrated from the factory. They have the potential to make a lot of power and are fun to mod too. Remember that these cars have their own issues/problems just like our Ford Mustangs have their own issues/problems. I almost bought a 1997 Chevrolet Camaro SS and I wish that I did.
Can you elaborate on the 4th Gen's issues?