Which Suspension To Choose ?

Jaret

Jun 18, 2012
Hey guys, I am looking at doing suspension this winter, and this is what I am looking at;

Either the Eibach or KW coil over kit

The Ford Racing Adjustable handling pack

Or the Airlift suspension kit - A little worried about weight on this one.

I want to keep the car as daily driver, with occasional to moderate track use, I want to do both street courses and Drag racing so I don't really want to limit the cars handling to one or the other, I would like to set it up to be optimum all around.

• Sponsors (?)

I spoke with Van over at Revan Racing about this very issue. To get his qualifications out of the way, he's the guy with the 220.8mph Shelby (fastest recorded mustang). A kit he sells quite often is (all BMR):
UCA
UCA mount
LCAs
LCA relocation brackets
lowering springs
panhard bar
panhard bar rod

He said that setup gave him a full second at Sebring while not sacrificing drivability in a DD situation by keeping the stock shocks/struts. These can be modified, of course, as well as adding in swaybars but I think it's a rather solid "stage 1" setup to really keep your back-end planted. While I haven't put them on yet but the above will be my next round of mods.

Reactions: 1 user
Another plug for Van. This kit is waiting for me in the lower 48 (didn't want to pay AK shipping, when I'm moving at end of month) so although I can't personally endorse it, it is the setup of choice for the new GT500s by a wide margin, and has not had a single bad review that I have seen.

You don't have to get everything from the same vendor. It ain't like the parts aren't compatible. My suspension is Eibach, Max Motorsports, Steeda, Koni, SR-Perf, FRPP, Whiteline, and Fays.

Since springs and shocks are a given...

For drag strip, LCA relocation brackets and UCA.

For cornering, swaybars, bumpsteer kit, watts link, and front LCA. (I think the relocation brackets also help here on a lowered car).

Be careful of the mods though - if you ever autocross, you could find yourself in SM class competing against much lighter and powerful cars.

You don't have to get everything from the same vendor. It ain't like the parts aren't compatible. My suspension is Eibach, Max Motorsports, Steeda, Koni, SR-Perf, FRPP, Whiteline, and Fays.

I'm going to disagree a little. While they are not necessarily incompatible, there is an advantage to getting components that were designed to work together. Your suspension is a system, not just a collection of individual parts. While your solution might work, and your statement "you don't have to get everything from the same vendor is factually correct, there are advantages to doing so.

I'm going to disagree a little. While they are not necessarily incompatible, there is an advantage to getting components that were designed to work together. Your suspension is a system, not just a collection of individual parts. While your solution might work, and your statement "you don't have to get everything from the same vendor is factually correct, there are advantages to doing so.

I didn't say there was no advantage, but said advantage certainly isn't tangible. I've observed that when you buy a "system", it's either not enough of what you want, or it's too much, and once you stray from the "system" to get what you actually want, it has no benefits at all other than merely being a "collection of parts", and in the end, you've spent more money to replace parts of the system that did not meet your needs.

When you get right down to it, most parts are *the same*, and these include panhard bars, front strut braces, front LCAs, bump steer kits, rear LCAs, LCA relocation brackets, UCAs. The only things that offer and real difference (between parts offered by various manufacturers) are shocks, springs, and sway bars. The really funny part is that the various "manufacturers" merely offer re-branded parts made by one central source.

In the end, knowing how to setup your car for its desired use is INVALUABLE when shopping for parts to make it happen.

My statement was merely a cautionary one to allow the OP to evaluate other ways to get where he wants to go, and that it will probably cost him less money. That being said, getting the least expensive part isn't always the best way to go about doing things.

" Components that were designed to work together" is a great way at getting folks to buy all their parts from one vendor. Many of the parts we use to improve our suspensions are designed to lock in the body to the suspension so they're tied in or work as one. The real work is going to come from your selection of struts/springs and tires. This is how I understand my goal anyway. I'm not going to get their by just using a system designed to work together put together by one vendor.