WHICH TIMING SET TO USE

• Sponsors (?)

Your link didn't work. If you're looking for a double row-roller chain set,(for a small block Ford) look no farther than your local parts house. The Cloyes true roller sets for the late 80's-2001 5.0 is a good buy. Last one I bought was for my 331 and cost me less than $20 at O'Reilly's.

If you like the sound of a dentists drill....

:rlaugh:

Mine made the most beautiful whine that was somewhere between a blower and a turbo.

Have you ever heard one in a Ford?

They sound horrible in a Chebbie because of the steel timing cover.
Plus the timing cover is 'dry' and disconnected from the waterpump.

All these combined to make a really nasty sound.
In a Ford, they are greatly muffled to just the whirring sound, instead of broken syncro gear grinding.

:rlaugh:

Mine made the most beautiful whine that was somewhere between a blower and a turbo.

Have you ever heard one in a Ford?

They sound horrible in a Chebbie because of the steel timing cover.
Plus the timing cover is 'dry' and disconnected from the waterpump.

All these combined to make a really nasty sound.
In a Ford, they are greatly muffled to just the whirring sound, instead of broken syncro gear grinding.

Actually I've never heard them in a Ford.

The only gear drive I would EVER use would be one that isn't even made. I know someone that use to drag race HARD CORE. He had a gear drive set made that was 2 gears direct mesh, no 3rd gear. He also had a custom distributor and I think he said he had to run the firing order backwards because the cam spun the wrong direction.

Your link didn't work. If you're looking for a double row-roller chain set,(for a small block Ford) look no farther than your local parts house. The Cloyes true roller sets for the late 80's-2001 5.0 is a good buy. Last one I bought was for my 331 and cost me less than $20 at O'Reilly's.

I guess I should added my application too. I've got a 1969 351 block with the one piece fuel pump eccentric. The most expensive one ($86.00 I think) is the Cloyes 3135. It is the Original True Roller. The Edelbrock is priced close to $50.00 and the Cloyes street true roller is about $40.00. Was your $20 one a street true roller? We don't have an O'Reilly's near me but I'll check Advance Auto Parts and if necessary Auto Zone.

I don't really need a gear drive even if they do make pretty noises. :D I'll just be mainly weekend driving and a drag now and then.

Oh, I almost forgot. While I'm here I'll ask another question that you guys can probably answer. If not I'll start another thread. My 351 came out of a late 60's or early 70's PU. I'm assuming it was the original engine. The oil pan has the deep part for the pickup in the front. Will this oil pan work in a 66 Mustang or will I have to get another one from a car?

If it's a 351W it wasn't the original engine in a pickup. The oilpan will fit a Stang. The Cloyes set I bought was the O.E set for a late 80's to 2001 5.0. Same part fits a 351W. I don't recall the part number. You can look it up on Advance's site, or Autozone's site.