Wheels-Tires Which Tires For My '99 Gt?

I currently have the BFGoodrich KDW2s with the nice flamelike tread pattern and after several years it's time for new tires.

I'm also looking at the NEW Nitto NT05s....which ones would you get. THE KDW2s or the NT05s?
Pros and cons w/your answers, choices.

Survey says???????????
I'd like your opinions!
Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I run Sumitomos actually. I've not tried either of the ones you've listed, but I know Nittos from my days in the import world and they are a great tire. I've had bad luck in the past with BFGs beed splitting, but it could just be the cheap tires I bought back then.

I have heard good things about the NT05R, but that is a drag radial version which will be very different.

Keep in mind that both tires you listed are summer ONLY tires. They have no business in weather below about 50*. Below that point, they will be hard and you would be better off with an all season tire. I see you are in New York, so keep that in mind if you plan to drive the car at all between november and march. Just makes me wonder since you are looking at buying summer tires and it is late october... in new york.

My car sadly is a NY car now and hasn't been in a garage since moving back to this lovely place. It was originally a Florida car and ALWAYS Garaged kept. The paint still looks very good for a 13 yr. old car. Actually going to redo both bumpers, hood and trunk and add GT 350 or 281 in this case rocker stripes in silver metallic along with hood stripe to sort of match. Should give the car a good look. Also redoing the blood red and silver pinstripping and putting on fresh new pinstripes. Got new lights...head and fogs along with a new Mach 1 chin spoiler and 2003 Black folding Cobra mirrors for the door. Going HID as well.

I like the summer tires look and performance and will sacrifice ride for looks anyday. :)
Does anyone know a good interior guy for the NYC area?

The issue I was alluding to is safety, not ride quality. The tires will get hard in cool/cold weather, as in less traction. That means increased stopping distances, more traction limited acceleration, and a generally a better chance you will end up in a ditch. This is in good weather... snow or ice on a summer tire, and you would be better off walking.

Buy the correct tires for the conditions. There are plenty of performance all seasons out there that will do you well. If you still want summer tires, then get another set of wheels for all seasons or winter tires.

I like the summer tires look and performance and will sacrifice ride for looks anyday. :)
Does anyone know a good interior guy for the NYC area?

Reactions: 1 user
My dad used the Nitto NT05's on his 2005 GT and he loved them, here in Texas the weather hardly gets below 50* so it wasnt an issue. They do wear rather quickly, he only got like 25,000 miles out of them though but that was with aggressive driving. They were good in the rain and made the car feel like it was on rails.

I on the other hand have used Nitto NT555's and I LOVE them for the street, on the track though I have yet to cut anything below a 2.0 60ft time, although that could be just my driving and my 3.73 gears...