Which transmission cooler?

• Sponsors (?)

i have a b&m super cooler, im not going to need it, it says that it has a low pressure bypass and is suppost to be the most efficient type cooler, its a stacked plate deisgn. you can have the whole kit for $75 plus the shipping.

I'd get the big B&M with the screw-in NPT fittings (were I doing it again........... I think that might be the one Wes mentioned too. :nice: ).
You will want atleast 20K GVWR (I'd rather post BTU requirements but they are not always available).

I installed the gauge when I did the cooler so I don't have before info. I can tell you that in the summer, the stock heat exchanger heated my fluid up (temps dropped once I went to using the aux cooler as stand-alone).

Good luck.

If the cooler is too big, will it cause tranny trouble? I've heard people claiming that the fluid shouldn't be too cool. Of course, that could be a bunch of bull.

I've got a 18,000GVW TCI cooler now, and I can upgrade to a 22,000 GVW or a 26,000 GVW without re-running lines. Opinions?

If the cooler is too big, will it cause tranny trouble? I've heard people claiming that the fluid shouldn't be too cool. Of course, that could be a bunch of bull.

I've got a 18,000GVW TCI cooler now, and I can upgrade to a 22,000 GVW or a 26,000 GVW without re-running lines. Opinions?

The cool thing with the self-regulating coolers is that they kinda help with this concern. I've read both sides regarding the 'too cool' fluid argument. My take is that it's hydraulic fluid - it's doesnt have to reach and stay at a certain temp for optimization. And certainly cooler (IMHO) is better than warmer. In mild L.A., I'd think you would be ok (especially if you keep the OEM heat exchanger in the system. This and the self regulation of the cooler should keep you in the ballpark).

Just my little humble opinion.

"Cool thing", huh? Bad pun. :p Heh, I'm not using the OEM setup anymore; I went aftermarket cooler 'cause I fubar'd up the stock tranny cooler lines when swapping my tranny.

My concern would be bumper-to-bumper traffic. I nearly overheated the engine on a hot day recently - I was in stop-n-go traffic for about a half-hour. (I already know I need a new radiator). The tranny cooler was warmer than usual, but still not too hot to touch. Will the tranny coolers ever get as hot at a stock radiator?

Thanks for your opinion, I always respect and listen to yours. Honestly.

"Cool thing", huh? Bad pun. :p Heh, I'm not using the OEM setup anymore; I went aftermarket cooler 'cause I fubar'd up the stock tranny cooler lines when swapping my tranny.

My concern would be bumper-to-bumper traffic. I nearly overheated the engine on a hot day recently - I was in stop-n-go traffic for about a half-hour. (I already know I need a new radiator). The tranny cooler was warmer than usual, but still not too hot to touch. Will the tranny coolers ever get as hot at a stock radiator?

Thanks for your opinion, I always respect and listen to yours. Honestly.

Eddie summed it up nicely. It's like our radiators - you can have a stocker or the hugest one in the world. Until that t-stat allows fluid to circulate, the size matters not. The big boy just cools things down more quickly once up to temp.

And given what you said about your extended idling (which is when my trans temps creep up), that's another reason to go big. FWIW, even when my trans temps are creeping up, I can still touch my cooler and lines. If you can view PIDs, there's one for TOT as I recall (someone correct me if I'm wrong. I know that's true for 4th Gen camaros but I think I'm right on our stangs as well). You could also infer temps with a DMM on the TOT wire, or using an IR thermometer (the IR is how I check my inlet vs outlet temps).

Speaking only from personal experience, with a stand-alone cooler your trans fluid should not get hotter than the coolant (we know you wanna keep trans fluid at or under ~170*F). With only a stock heat exchanger and no aftermarket cooler, trans fluid can get hotter than the coolant. Variables like radiator size, driving style, fan thresholds, etc play into this as well.

WHile we're on this subject (I like it when the auto guys like Eddie, you and the other guys get a thread going), you might want to add a remote filter if you're going to be screwing with this stuff. I didnt when I did my cooler but should have; I still need to.

All of this said, if you already have a cooler, just try and check temps and see if it's sufficient. If so, you save some cash. If not, you can swap the coolers and then put this smaller one in another car (with a Magnefine filter on the outlet side of the cooler).

Sorry for the ramblings.

Good luck.