which vertical link bar lifters do i need?

zm830101

May 16, 2005
warner robins, ga
i am building a '69 351w and want to convert to hydraulic roller with a standard base circle (plan on running xe 282). are all of the link bar lifters from the likes of crane, crower, cat created equal? or will some of them only work with reduced base circle cams? do you only need a reduced base circle cam to use the stock style lifters with the spider and dog bones? i don't want to use this set up, as i would rather have the link bar lifters. i am just trying to get this straight in my head. i have been searching on this topic for hours now and i am sooooo confused. some people say that you don't need a reduced base circle cam at all, others say you do.

[nutshell] basically, will my xe282 be ok with just a set of link bar lifters like these linky and the appropriate length pushrods? [/nutshell]

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure a standard base circle roller cam will not work in a '69 block. The lifters will not have adequit (sp?) support from the old style flat tappet lifter bores and you will lose oil pressure.

You will need to run a small base circle version of that cam or run special lifters.

You link is bad BTW.

You will need this type of linked roller lifters with a standard base circle cam. These are Comp Cams PN:851-16 for retro-fit - $270-ish bucks. I'd call Comp Cams, since it's one of their cams you plan to use, and find out exactly what they suggest you use for your conversion.

High_Energy_Hydraulic_Lifters_853_600x600.jpg

tjm73 said:
I'm pretty sure a standard base circle roller cam will not work in a '69 block. The lifters will not have adequit (sp?) support from the old style flat tappet lifter bores and you will lose oil pressure.

You will need to run a small base circle version of that cam or run special lifters.

You link is bad BTW.

You will need this type of linked roller lifters with a standard base circle cam. These are Comp Cams PN:851-16 for retro-fit - $270-ish bucks. I'd call Comp Cams, since it's one of their cams you plan to use, and find out exactly what they suggest you use for your conversion.

image deleted for space and download considerations
actually, comp part # 851-16 is a stock replacement lifter for 5.0l. (that picture is of a chevy link bar lifter by the way only used as an example)851-16 is specifically for use with the stock spider and dog bones. already discussed this with comp. the only vertical link lifter that the tech guy said they had for this application would be there super solid rollers. according to him the only way you can convert to hydraulic roller in an early block is to use the stock style lifter w/ spider and a reduced base circle cam. obviously they would not reccomend another companies part. that wouldn't be a smart business move now would it?
i know that fms offers a link bar lifter specifically for use in early blocks w/ an "off the shelf roller cam." in other words no reduced base circle.
now i know that there are other people out there who have made this work. i'm hoping that they will chime in here with there specific combos and help me out. i want to make sure i get the right parts the first time. the fms parts are just too pricey. the crower parts are $209 from summit. i don't care who you are that is a bargain

the crower part that i listed states that it is only for a 302. called crower and they cannot verify that it will work in a 351 but why wouldn't it. it is listed specifically for 68-85 302 blocks. in other words blocks that were not originally cast with roller lifters in mind. if it will work in a 69 302 block with the shorter lifter nores why wouldn't it work in a 69 351?
ps. fixed the link in the first post
here it is again for those lazy individuals out there :) linky

I have contacted crower about those lifters since I am doing the same thing on my car. Now it is the same situation as the comp cams lifters listed earlier. They are for roller blocks and not linked, it is a chevy lifter picture. Read the description summit corrected the mistake after I talked with them, it says there is no link bar. I am going with the FMS ones they run around $400 though.