White Exhaust Smoke

str8stang036

Dec 28, 2002
Miami
I started the car today, and I noticed it was pushing put a lot of white smoke. It doesn't smell like oil or coolant. Its only from the drivers side bank. Its a brand new engine with only 3-4 miles on it, no boost yet. I can't think the valve stems or head gasket is gone already. I took the plugs out and they were all black, which I believe means rich.

What could it be? This is so far a 4 year project, and its always a constant problem, one after the next.

• Sponsors (?)

I started the car today, and I noticed it was pushing put a lot of white smoke. It doesn't smell like oil or coolant. Its only from the drivers side bank. Its a brand new engine with only 3-4 miles on it, no boost yet. I can't think the valve stems or head gasket is gone already. I took the plugs out and they were all black, which I believe means rich.

White smoke is usually either normal condensation when the engine's cold on a cold day, or the result of coolant seeping into the exhaust from a leaking head gasket, cracked head, or cracked cylinder. If your plugs are black but dry, the smoke is unlikely to be coolant and more likely to be due to a rich condition. Since it's only from the driver's side bank, the problem could be a bad O2 sensor on that side.

The drivers side O2 reads leaner than the pass side. I can see this on my PMS. I replaced the plugs with new ones, and it continues to do it. I am going to drain the oil to check for water. Tomorrow I may do a compression test.

By any chance does anyone know the compression range for 8:5:1 pistons for
351w?

I would first look into replacing the o2. I doubt it's a leaky head gasket, but you never know, the dry and wet comp test will tell you that.

Your compression should be about 145 - 165 for that range. Someone will chime in and give you much better numbers than I, If not ask Hissin, Grady, Killercanary, or grn92lx, all have come through with absolutly vital info for me.

Well I think I found the reason for the smoke. One of my turbos is leaking oil from the turbine and causing it to get into the exhaust. Hopefully it is just that.

Oh...you said it the original post it was not boosted yet...then you drop this on us :lol:

I think you need to step back for awhile and help another stanger with his project :D
RC