White face gauges with red leds

95ssn95

Nov 4, 2008
Missouri
anybody know of white face gauges that have a blue film on the back of the overlay (similar to stock ones) that can be shaved/sanded off to allow the use of red led lights. the mac ones from lmr are molded in blue plastic, i temporarily put the stock back in, i shaved of the blue film, though when peeling them off i messed them up, love the look but want white gauges. Any suggestions? i'll put a picture on at lunch

• Sponsors (?)

I tried red LED's in the stick GT cluster, and they were so dark I couldn't see the instrumentation at night. The 5-way red LEDs I bought just didn't put out enough light, but the cool white ones did. I bought mine from superbrightleds.com, the WLED-x5 reds. However, I see they have new WLED-xHP5 bulbs that may be brighter. Be sure to look up the lumens, you don't want an LED that's not as bright as the stock bulbs. A lumen value of 2000 is good, too much lower and they won't be bright enough. You want as wide an angle as possible to light up the whole cluster, or you'll have bright spots and dim spots of light.

Here's the info on the WLED-5 bulbs:

WLED-x5 (194 type) Wedge Base bulbs Specifications

You're welcome to try some other LEDs, just be sure to buy ones that say they fit the 194/168 type.

chythar i know all about the 5ways thats what i bought, i also bought this 1994-95 Mustang 5.0 White Face Gauge Kit at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
these are not the reverse glow gauges jinx

here is were i am now
2.jpg

1.jpg

I want either white or silver faces but need to be able to remove the blue/green film on the backing to allow the red to show through as the stock ones do that i have modified.

like this YouTube - Mustang Gauge LED Upgrade Part II

I haven't used those, good thought though. I just ordered some white faces from brother. they are bbk and only 10 bucks, guess we will see how they are condtructed when I get them, also some people mention that there are light and dark spots when using these leds and I have a theory that on the five ways that is you redirect the forward facing diode or dim if slightly with tape or something ?????, you will end up with and even lighting. I totally dismanteled the ac controles, removed the blues film and lined the housing with foil tape to help distibute the light. I may do this with the cluster also. no only if there was a way to change the color of that dang clock!:mad:

No dice on the bbk gauges, cheap cheap. I'm going to stick with the stock gauge faces for now, or at least till I find a white set that i can modify. I need some stock gauge faces now because when I peeled them off I messed them up. Any suggestions other than a junk yard?