White Goop From Crankcase Vent, Why??

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
I am running the stock powered by ford valve covers with no baffles, the left side has a standard twist-on vent cap made by Mr. Gasket, the right side has a breather with a tube going to the bottom of the air cleaner base. i just drove the car 4+ hours coming back from the FEP BBQ(which was awesome, BTW) and slowly it was getting hotter and hotter, by the time i got home the stock guage had just maxed out....There is lots of this white thick foamy mess inside the air cleaner lid, definately coming from the breather tube..same on the right side, the breather is full of it. It has never done this before and didn't do it for the first 400 miles i put on the engine. I changed the oil about 300miles ago and the dipstick is not white or foamy, it looks perfect on the stick. I can look at the roller rockers and they have clean oil sitting on top of them...this 351 has some blowby, which might be my problem(why is there light smoke coming from the breathers?) I have pictures but i loaded them to a camera instead of a memory card, and now i cant find the USB cable.. any help is greatly appreciated, tomorrow i will order some tall valve covers with baffles and hope this helps, oil has been slowly leaking from the 2 breathers and onto my headers, so at least the tall VC's will solve that problem..and BTW my overheating issue was duie to being almost 1/2 gallon low on coolant, i think the upper heater core hose is leaking but i havent tracked it down yet, just thought i'd mention that in case someone says the head gasket is blown(highly doubt it)

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

DOH! looks like i'll be checking compression tomorrow. this motor has less than 700 miles on it, if the head gasket is blown that would SUCK..i cant imagine how it would with the 9.5:1 compression ratio..it has never had a hiccup since it was first fired

~Mark~

DOH! looks like i'll be checking compression tomorrow. this motor has less than 700 miles on it, if the head gasket is blown that would SUCK..i cant imagine how it would with the 9.5:1 compression ratio..it has never had a hiccup since it was first fired

~Mark~

do you have those compression results..also did you rebuild motor if so did you have the heads checked at the machine shop???

i was busy after work picking up some drag radials, then spent the rest of the night testing them out, lol...so i didnt get the compression check done, hopefully tomorrow...i didnt have the heads checked but they were last used for just over 100K on a 94 Cobra, with no leaks..so i assumed they were fine and went on my merry way. IF i have to pull the heads i will get them milled .030" or so for the bump in compression, Thanks and the oil still looks good in the pan, i think having no baffles could be the problem..

~Mark~

i was thinking intake today too, but neither the heads or intake has been surfaced..however i only used permatex form a gasket on the coolant passages, and nothing on the intake ports...but i'm pretty sure i did both sides though. Anyway i ran a compression test today and every cylinder is between 155-160, except #1 and #8 which are both at 150 psi...i am using a 20.00 guage so i dont expect it to be perfect, whuddya think? also there still isnt a milkshake in the oil pan, dipstick is clean except for the upper half of the tube has the white goop also

~Mark~

ok well if it were me i would pull the intake and re seal it just in case bc normaly if you have a blown head gasket it dont take long for your oil to turn to a milkshake, allso it wouldnt hurt to check around the timing cover and see if you mite have a small water leak around one of the water ports on the pump

the timing cover is a possibility because i had to pull the water pump and/or P/S pump 3-4 times since i built the engine and every time i pull the power steering pump coolant runs to the ground from where the water pump meets the timing cover until i tighten everything back up, maybe this has started a leak? the intake shouldent be leaking but you never know, i'd rather pull the timing cover and just run it without a gasket and use permatex form-a-gasket instead...whuddya think?

~Mark~