White smoke and condensation.

earleys94gt

Aug 31, 2003
Ashley, Ohio
I just put new heads and a cam on my car about 100 miles ago. I have noticed that at WOT I have had some white smoke. But, tonight I noticed that at idle it had the white smoke. I also noticed some condensation inside the tailpipes. Is this a matter of the new gaskets and parts getting broken in or is this a major problem? I do not have any fluid leaks either. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

keep an eye on your coolant mark the level in the overflow while the engine is cool and recheck whenever engine is cool if you are not loosing any coolant i would not worry also check under your oil fill cap for a white foamy substance and check the oil to see if it looks like chocolate milk...it is normal have some condensation inside the tail pipes depending on outside temps and air moisture content.. you do not break in a head gasket...repost results.

It does sound like a bad head gasket leak to me. The easiest way to find out, apart from checking the coolant level in the overflow bottle, is to pull the plugs and check the color. If you find any that are stained light brown (coolant) and look different from the others, you'll need to pull at least one of the heads (or both if the plugs are coolant stained on both cylinder banks). It's possible that one of the head gaskets wasn't properly aligned or damaged during installation, or the head bolts weren't torqued down correctly.

Well I am at work, so I can't check right now. But I asked the guy at work who did the work on my car and he said what you guys did "check the coolant level". So when I get home tonight I'll check the overflow and also the oil cap for anything there as well. I REALLY hope nothing is wrong as it seems I have had nothing but problems with this car :bang:.

Well...just got home from work and started the Stang. First I noticed the coolant in the overflow bottle was a little low, not too bad though. I filled to the cold mark and let the car get warmed up. As it was warming up I checked the oil fill cap and dipstick and there was no "milkshake." So after letting it run for a while I hit the gas a few times and the white smoke appears, in droves. I smelled the exhaust, but all I smelled was exhaust(didn't smell that sweet). One thing I did notice was that there was moisture coming out of my driver side tailpipe. Too make matters worse, my "low oil" light is on. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Do what I suggested in my last post. It sounds to me that you've got coolant leaking from the water jacket into at least one combustion chamber on the driver's side cylinder bank. That would account for moisture coming from the driver's side tailpipe without coolant mixing with the oil.
Pull the plugs to find out. I'm sure you'll find at least one that's wet. Check the plugs on the passenger side as well just in case there's also a leak on that side.