Engine White Smoke And Stumbling

newskool

Oct 17, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
Recently my 89 5.0 started bucking and sputtering at low speed/rpm and flowing white smoke out of the exhaust. I haven't pulled the codes yet (I know I know). I did check the plugs and the drivers side are all wet with a clear fuel smell and the passenger side is dry. Plugs are e3s. Anyone else delt with this issue in the past?

• Sponsors (?)

Recently my 89 5.0 started bucking and sputtering at low speed/rpm and flowing white smoke out of the exhaust. I haven't pulled the codes yet (I know I know). I did check the plugs and the drivers side are all wet with a clear fuel smell and the passenger side is dry. Plugs are e3s. Anyone else delt with this issue in the past?

WHITE Smoke??? That usually means coolant/water. It does not usually mean fuel. Fuel is black, and oil is kind of blue gray. Pull codes, but watch your coolant.

Reactions: 1 users
The last time I had white smoke (Steam) out of the exhaust it was a blown head gasket.

E3 spark plugs? I have them in my Mustang and don't have any issues with them. But then again I don't think they work any better than the Autolites I had in there before them.

I'm thinking it's a head gasket too, but was wondering if it may be something else. I'm just wondering if there are multiple issues since there is the white smoke/heat and wet plugs on the drivers side. Looks like a tear down is in my future.:fuss:

BEFORE YOU PULL A HEAD (and how many other of your parts :), there are ways to test these things. You probably know of them, and here's the order I'd use them in (or purchase/borrow then use them in) to make sure of the color of the smoke and cause of the idle issue. There is the code reader, a vac. gauge (for big leaks), a compression testor, and leak down tester for both the cylinders and the radiator pressure. I'd avoid any psychic medium for this one... You will be pretty sure of what you may find if you go in this order - from mild to bad news.

BEFORE YOU PULL A HEAD (and how many other of your parts :), there are ways to test these things. You probably know of them, and here's the order I'd use them in (or purchase/borrow then use them in) to make sure of the color of the smoke and cause of the idle issue. There is the code reader, a vac. gauge (for big leaks), a compression testor, and leak down tester for both the cylinders and the radiator pressure. I'd avoid any psychic medium for this one... You will be pretty sure of what you may find if you go in this order - from mild to bad news.

...although I do know a good psychic if it comes to that. :chin

Reactions: 1 user
I'v suspected a bad gasket for a while now, but have been putting off looking into it since there was no oil in my coolant. I had been planning on stipping the motor down in Feb when i pull it out to paint the coupe, but I think my time line just got pushed forward a few months.

Noobz347 does said psychich have big gypsie bewbs?