who has a 331 d.s.s. ?

• Sponsors (?)

I have one, I haven't started it yet, going in on thursday.. I have heard nothing but good, that's the only reason why I went with dss, and every sick car in muscle mustangs mag seem to have a dss engine.... Not saying others are junk so don't bash me here, but I guess i jumped on the dss band wagon...

this wasnt my motor but my buddy bought a dss 331 shortblock. he put 3000 miles on it then took it to the track. on the second pass 2 pistons busted. (no nitrous or supercharger just motor) i thought that to be a little odd. so i started asking and i found 2 more people that had the same problem. dss wouldnt even talk about the problem on the phone. just my few cents, check out bb&t or bennet.

I've heard alot of bad things about dss motors too.. Be careful, they are not engines that are built when you payed for it.. there motors that are pre-assembled, like an off the shelf cam.. I was about to order my 331 from dss when i talked to a well known racing company out here in Seattle and they adviced me on how many motors from dss they had to rebuild because of seals, or blown pistons, etc.. They told me to go to a guy out here who builds motors for chp and ford racing.. Engine is 90 % completed, waiting on oil pan and then shes getting put in along with my v2-sq.. I'll post pic and numbers when i get em.. But be careful, your spending a lot of money, thats the last thing you need is to be **** out of cash.. would you guys rather have someone to drive too an talk face to face, If you dont live whereever Dss headquarters are of course.. Like Hi po head said I've heard alot of stories... good luck with which ever you go with..

Heard a lot of good things about kieth craft and bennett, especially bennett racing.. Check them out !!

I find that if.,..

93cobra12 said:
I've heard alot of bad things about dss motors too.. Be careful, they are not engines that are built when you payed for it.. there motors that are pre-assembled, like an off the shelf cam.. I was about to order my 331 from dss when i talked to a well known racing company out here in Seattle and they adviced me on how many motors from dss they had to rebuild because of seals, or blown pistons, etc.. They told me to go to a guy out here who builds motors for chp and ford racing.. Engine is 90 % completed, waiting on oil pan and then shes getting put in along with my v2-sq.. I'll post pic and numbers when i get em.. But be careful, your spending a lot of money, thats the last thing you need is to be **** out of cash.. would you guys rather have someone to drive too an talk face to face, If you dont live whereever Dss headquarters are of course.. Like Hi po head said I've heard alot of stories... good luck with which ever you go with..

Heard a lot of good things about kieth craft and bennett, especially bennett racing.. Check them out !!

I guess when a person does his research u can find dirt on any company that builds motors. I find that everyone has bad stories about all types. As for my DSS 331 I will be building it with a bud, so if anything would ever happen its on me. I would never buy a motor thats had been built without my eyes watching the build up. just the way that I am.

hi_po_heads said:
this wasnt my motor but my buddy bought a dss 331 shortblock. he put 3000 miles on it then took it to the track. on the second pass 2 pistons busted. (no nitrous or supercharger just motor) i thought that to be a little odd. so i started asking and i found 2 more people that had the same problem. dss wouldnt even talk about the problem on the phone. just my few cents, check out bb&t or bennet.

All of this is here say,, I can't believe tom , the owner of dss wouldn't talk to him,, He has alway been there to answer every ? or prob I've had.. Did you guys break it in properly?? Over rev it?? Did all of these bad motors have the old style probe pistons they used to use, that they had problems with?? He told me when I talked to him that the probe pistons weren't all they hoped for.. That would not be dss's fault , if you ordered a block with probe pistons, ross, or whatever, and those pistons couldn't handle it.that's what you ordered.. Also I hope all of these people had the right balancer and flywheel..... not useing the stock 50 oz on a 28 oz engine...... Some thoughts....

hoss331stang said:
I got a D.S.S. Pro Bullet 331 Shortblock. I added a comp cams XE274HR and AFR 185 heads....in MM%FF this exact combo made 450 hp..... :banana:

Im looking at almost the exact same setup except fuel injected and the 232/240 Comp cam. I think that one listed above is the 224/232 Comp? That horsepower does sound kinda high if its to the wheels. I know other things play a factor though. What do you think the fuel injected setup of that would put down?

I too was about to purchase my 331 from DSS, when i brought it up with the local racing company who is featured in 5.0 mag, they told me to stay away because of how many engines they had to rebuild for there customers who purchased motors from dss.. Dont get me wrong im not saying dont get it, Im just letting u guys know what I was told from Brads out here in Seattle WA..

here is there webpage if you guys wanna check it out.. Ill be posting pics of my car that they did for me, I have a teal 93 w/ a 331 and a s trim w/ many other mods.. Bradscustomauto.com

i know SIRSURESHOT39 has one...hes in india so its nighty there lol...he should post up soon. I dunno what im gonna do for mine yet. I liek CHP but i have been eying up Kieth Kraft just cause of the internals they use and their base price. I can get any internals put in at CHP (instead of their brand crank and rods) but it will prolly boost up the price. Where KC uses Scat, eagle, Probe, etc etc right off the bat. I still have to see tho. but DSS isnt out of the question for my 331.

check out bennett racing too, awesome company, but pricey.. u get ur money's worth but its pricey.. my short block costed me with all the machine work, $5400.. thats with a sportsman block, 331 obviously, all forged internals, coated the bearings, coated the top of my pistons, set the compression to whatever i wanted.. I wanted 8.8:1 ... main girdle, balanced out, machine work on my heads mild port, 3 angel valve job , .600 springs , machine work on my balancer, a lot more but i dont have all the paper work that he did.. He gave me a list of every single thing he did to my engine..but this guy built everyones motor in that racing company, brads custom auto.. He does excellent work, CHP asked him to assemble engines down there for them, Ford asked him to teach a machine shop class for there high performance engines.. This guy is a super busy guy, I waited 2 months to get in.. But once he starts working, its done w/in two weeks.. This guys is super legit, I'd promote this guy any sec, his work is second to none, hands down all the way.. If anyone is close to Seattle WA or is willing to pay for shipping, I wouldnt go anywhere else but this guy.. But back to the orginal subject, KC an bennett in my eyes only !