Who has a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy XE250H Cam

• Sponsors (?)

brianj5600 said:
That is a very mild cam, almost an RV cam. I would look more towards the 262 at least.

A "mild cam" is a very vague description, i am looking for the most effecient cam with the proper lift and duration, I am not sure what heads i will have yet, so an agressive cam is no good to me because if i have stock heads then it will be useless, because they will not be able to flow what i need them too. I am looking for effeciency, based on stock heads:SNSign:

302 coupe said:
anything with less than .480 lift and 214 dur at .050 is a waste of effort in my opinion, even with stock heads. The stock cam is designed for stock heads and efficiency, just use it.

so what kind of things can i do to the stock heads, with budget in mind, to increase their flow?

I have the Extreme energy 274 and it is sooooo mean. No one believes me when I tell them it's a 289. I've had a lot of head work done to some windsor Jr heads and went full roller.

I kind of agree with what was said earlier if you're going for gas mileage and want to stay with the stock heads I wouldn't put in the work to swap the cam.
However, you can find some iron heads like I did, possibly do some flow work to them, and go with a more radical cam like the 262 mentioned which would result in significant power increase.

Although it's tough to wait sometimes it's best to put this project together a piece at a time. Find some iron heads and put them on the shelf until you get your cam and lifters.
Oh and IMO, I would go with solid lifters if this isn't a daily driver and roller if it is. Spend the money to get everything externally balanced before you re-assemble.

Good Luck!

bad68coupe said:
so what kind of things can i do to the stock heads, with budget in mind, to increase their flow?

You can grind the exhaust ports, ( the worst part of stock heads), to gradually open up to the size of the exhaust gasket you use. You can also port match the intake side. Unshrouding and smoothing the area around the valves will help also.

I'd go with an XE256H or XE262H or a Lunati 61001. The XE256H is probably the better of the 2 Comps, not muchb gain with the 262. OTOH, the Lunati cams are just oustanding in every way and would probably whup up on both of them.

XXBULLETSXX said:
I have the Extreme energy 274 and it is sooooo mean. No one believes me when I tell them it's a 289. I've had a lot of head work done to some windsor Jr heads and went full roller.

I kind of agree with what was said earlier if you're going for gas mileage and want to stay with the stock heads I wouldn't put in the work to swap the cam.
However, you can find some iron heads like I did, possibly do some flow work to them, and go with a more radical cam like the 262 mentioned which would result in significant power increase.

Although it's tough to wait sometimes it's best to put this project together a piece at a time. Find some iron heads and put them on the shelf until you get your cam and lifters.
Oh and IMO, I would go with solid lifters if this isn't a daily driver and roller if it is. Spend the money to get everything externally balanced before you re-assemble.

Good Luck!

From what i understand there is not beniefit of going full roller other than it is more stable at higher rpm's which i will only flirt with once or twice, why do you say to go full roller? what would be the best combination for gas milage, because when you think about it gas milage is nothing but effeciency, and when the engine is effecient it is also making power, i figure that up to a point they go hand in hand. I am just trying to do it right the first time.

I run the XE262H with stock heads... but the heads have had a lot of work done on them (money probably would have been better spent towards new heads though).

I have been pleased with the idle and the performance. I've got dyno numbers linked at the bottom of my signature if you want to check it out. I'm not going to be breaking any track numbers with that cam, but the car sounds pretty mean and is a lot of fun to drive.

Scott

xe262

Not to jump you thread. But I just alled the cam help line last night about my build which sounds very close to your. I asked the tech guy about 4 different cams including the 271hp grind and he hands down pointed me towards the 262 extreme performance. My question now goes to 67topless whis runnning the cam. Is it at all choppy at idle? I want the torque figures it will produce on the low end but would sure like eneogh duration to get a little sloppy idle so everyone knows its in there. I knowthat sounds childish but thats what I want. If it does not does anyone know which one will get me a lumpy idle and preserve eneogh low end to still make a good street driver, manual trans manual brakes so no worries there, but 13-14 mpg would be nice if its possible. Thanks for any insight.

a smaller cam dosent always mean better gas milage. in my falcon i had a 289 with ported heads and a crane 270 grind in it. in town it got about 14 mpg town and 21 on the highway with an auto. i blew it up(!$%#@$&) and decided i didnt need power for a cruiser and built a 302 with the same heads and went for a "economy"(245 grind)with a t-5, with very dismal results. 15 mpg town and 17 highway. it had absolutly no power at all, and wouldn't turn past 4000rpm. i eventually just dropped in a 5.0 HO fuel injection and all. 16 in town 19 on the highway.

on the other hand i have my capri. my last configuration(havn't done gas milage with new motor) was a roller 302 ported early 289 heads with 1.92 1.50 valves, e303 cam,625 road demon, t-5 and 3.08 gears. hold onto your pants here 6-8 mpg town 32mpg at 80mph a/f gauge in the green.

bad68coupe said:
does that necessarily translate into horsepower or torque? and what do you mean by effecient?
Well think about it. Your camshaft is rotating at a high rate of speed, non-roller lifters drag/grind across the cam lobes while roller lifters well, roll across them. You can push your car around in neutral, however if you take the wheels of and set it on the hubs, moving the car takes much more effort. Rolling>Draging as far as effeciency is concerned. Non-roller lifters are just old technology. You are kinda looking for the same thing manufacturers are; increase effecinecy/power at minimal cost, which is why THEY use roller lifters.

Roller rockers are all about freedom of motion and eleminating binding points. Full rollers (what I reccomend) have a bearing they rotate on in the center, and a roller tip much like the roller lifters. Again non-roller rockers are old technology. When I speak of effeciecy I am talking about reducing friction/binding. Roller rockers have bee advertised to "free up" (more effecient) 20hp.

Tyler

Sharps-Nut said:
Not to jump you thread. But I just alled the cam help line last night about my build which sounds very close to your. I asked the tech guy about 4 different cams including the 271hp grind and he hands down pointed me towards the 262 extreme performance. My question now goes to 67topless whis runnning the cam. Is it at all choppy at idle? I want the torque figures it will produce on the low end but would sure like eneogh duration to get a little sloppy idle so everyone knows its in there. I knowthat sounds childish but thats what I want. If it does not does anyone know which one will get me a lumpy idle and preserve eneogh low end to still make a good street driver, manual trans manual brakes so no worries there, but 13-14 mpg would be nice if its possible. Thanks for any insight.
It probly has a noticable idle, be nice if the cam had a little more lift, I would use 1.7 rockers but thats just me. I have the F303 in my engine and it has an obvious lope in the idle, I get looks at the stoplight or sonic or really anywhere i go. Its duration is 226/226 @ .544/.544 lift with 1.7 RR and its plenty steetable, even with the stock 3:1 gears (thats all about to change this afternon with my new currie 9") the motor dosn't bog from takeoff. It sounds like a beast at WOT.

Tyler