Who is still running their 260?

64transplant

Dec 3, 2009
I was wondering how many of you guys who still have your 260, have givin it a few performance upgrades. How have they worked out for you and what exactley did you do. I'm am planning on a stock rebuild and a small cam, alum intake, and an edelbrock 500 cfm carb.

• Sponsors (?)

Cool...I'm actually putting it in my 1964 F100 (3sp convt/floor shift). The truck guys on that forum are giving me hell about it because its not "tough" enough. I just think it would be a cool and period correct little V8 to upgrade from my 223 straight 6. The truck is just gonna be a weekend cruiser for the most part.
I know valve clearence is a problem with these engines. Does anyone know how large of a cam you can safely run on a mainly stock engine?

Cool...I'm actually putting it in my 1964 F100 (3sp convt/floor shift). The truck guys on that forum are giving me hell about it because its not "tough" enough. I just think it would be a cool and period correct little V8 to upgrade from my 223 straight 6. The truck is just gonna be a weekend cruiser for the most part.
I know valve clearence is a problem with these engines. Does anyone know how large of a cam you can safely run on a mainly stock engine?

"Safely" is a pretty subjective term.

Cam questions.

For your planned build, maybe something like this:

COMP Cams K31-218-2 - COMP Cams High Energy Cam and Lifter Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

You should ALWAYS verify valve train geometry. Installed spring height, valve stem wear pattern, push rod length, all of it.

I think though for a cruiser as you have described, anything under .500 lift should work out.

The nice thing about the comp kits is they come complete, rather than having to piece it all together....

I'm looking for lift numbers not rhetorical answers. But thanks

OK, then we'll change your question to read:

I know valve clearence is a problem with these engines. Does anyone know how large of a cam you can use without modifying the valve train?

The C9OZ-6250-C hydraulic cam would be a good choice, performance-wise, but anything higher than Summits SUM-1799 with .456" lift should probably get screw-in valve studs.

My Father still runs the original 260ci in his 64.5 coupe. It is a factory auto, AC, power steering car. It has around 150k and has had valve guide seals twice and rings and rod bearings once.

Richard

My 64.5 coupe still has it's original 260 in it. I rebuilt the engine years back and, with the exception of 030 overbore, it's all to stock specs. I'm planning on some upgrades over the next few months (4 barrel carb, dual exhaust, etc...). From what I understand, most any 289/302 enhancement will work on a 260 as the block has the same dimensions. Granted, the cylinder bores are different, but anything that's a "bolt-on" should work. I, too, have some homework to do on this subject before I start buying any parts.