Who knows brake systems best?

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok I've done my fair share of research on this topic. Now I'm throwing it to you guys, and I'm hoping for some good information here.

We all know how much the cobra R brake kits go for ($1000>), and even though sometimes you can find just the calipers on ebay, they're still close to $700USD.

Who wants to pay $700 for technology that is *cheaper* for the Porsche crowd? I know I don't.

Ford even tried to sneak the Focus RS kit by us for a while (the exact kit as the Cobra R...only $400 less. Since then, the 2007 FRPP catalogue no longer carries them. You may find them in some FRPP dealers still, but they remain >$600)

Porsche, EVO 8, 350Z and Viper calipers regularly sell for less. Granted it's probably a matter of supply and demand...but what it comes down to is that we're paying, on average, 200-300 dollars for mounting brackets.

Here's a thread from corral that deals with Porsche calipers on mustangs (read: it is possible, you just need custom brackets)

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=845984&highlight=brembo+caliper

Here's a thread on Corner Carvers about the Focus RS conspiracy

http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=27277

Who can do custom fabrication here :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

i would think its possible but you would need to make sure the custom brackets are strong enough. IMO just go with the cobra r or focus kit (both use the same 13" rotors as the cobra kit)

They're great. Anything from them or Brembo will do fine. If you aren't going to the track with your car just go with the Cobra's

I plan to do some autox/open track next fall. If I stay at my current power level (low) I may be able to get by with the 2 piston PBRs...It's just a matter of doing it now and then upgrading later to 4 piston...or just saving up a bit more before doing the brakes

I plan to do some autox/open track next fall. If I stay at my current power level (low) I may be able to get by with the 2 piston PBRs...It's just a matter of doing it now and then upgrading later to 4 piston...or just saving up a bit more before doing the brakes

I mean, it's not like the Cobra's are just going to fall off if you do some open track but I would put some Brembo's or Baer's ahead of them for more dedicated track use.

I mean, it's not like the Cobra's are just going to fall off if you do some open track but I would put some Brembo's or Baer's ahead of them for more dedicated track use.

the cobra brakes are a joke if you want to lean on them hard at the track.

i did the cobra r setup and have not regret it since--one of my fav mods. i paid $815+shipping about 6 months ago.

i would buy that kit and save the fab for a wicked rear setup--thats what i am doing :p

i am taking my front cobra calipers and putting them on the 01 rear end i'm building up. if all goes well i will be able to have a bunch of brackets made up for whoever wants them.

the cobra brakes are a joke if you want to lean on them hard at the track.

i did the cobra r setup and have not regret it since--one of my fav mods. i paid $815+shipping about 6 months ago.

i would buy that kit and save the fab for a wicked rear setup--thats what i am doing :p

i am taking my front cobra calipers and putting them on the 01 rear end i'm building up. if all goes well i will be able to have a bunch of brackets made up for whoever wants them.

Any plans to do a dual caliper setup on the rear? Also how do you plan to make the brackets? torch? what grade of steel?