who makes the best crate engines?

• Sponsors (?)

My selection is the ford crate motors. I have the FMS Z347, and it is a little much for a daily driver, but it sure is a blast to drive. Plenty of power through out the power band. Suprising amounts of low end torque for such a large cam. It far exceeds the limt of traction that can be stuffed in an un-tubbed tire 65. It is pushing the limit of my 245 drag radials at this point. (I still have to feather the thorttle in 1st)

I could not come close to the price considering the components used, unless my labor was free. Shop arround, I picked mine up for ~6700 after taxes.

John

dollar for dollar. who makes the best quality crate engine (short block) on the market?

It's the same guys that make the best car (that everyone agrees upon) of course. :D

As with anything in the automotive world the best engine builder is very opinion based - I'm doing my research on a 331 (blower motor) right now - here's my shortlist...

Funny how they are all three character acronyms...

Wes

I went with frrp 347 short block, same one used in the Z 450hp complete engine assy. The guy I spoke with @ ford said they were no longer going to produce short blocks, so if you want one you need to find one in stock somewhere.

JUST LOOKING FOR OPINIONS ON DURABILITY I GUESS... I HAVE HEARD SOME HORROR STORIES

Here's sorta what I did to start my research - go into the 5.0 forums and start searching on various vendors - you will dig up a ton of good and bad stories - more than enough to keep you busy for DAYS.

After that, place some calls to the vendors you like the price/quality of and see how their customer service stacks up. My decision on a short block is based heavily on customer service/track record of the vendor - that is what really stands out for me.

Wes

I don't prefer crate engines, but if I had to buy one it would be from Brian at www.adperformance.com

I purchased a SCAT 408 kit along with AFR 205 heads from him, so I've dealt with him on things other than crate engines.

His team came in 3rd in the 2006 Engine Masters.

Good pricing and excellent customer service, IMO.

I've purchased 2 of the Ford 345HP 302's from Ford. First one went in Cobra kit car and I just installed another in my 66. Other than having to pull this last one back out for a rear main seal leak after about 50 miles, they run flawlessly and perform well. I did notice when I pulled this last one out for the oil leak last week that the engine was assembled in March of 2000, so it sat around for 7 years before ever being installed. I'm happy with their engines and you just can;t beat-em for the money.

Outlaw66

If you want a Ford Racing Catalog engine, I think Scoggins-Dickey in Lubbock, TX has the best prices.

For me, I'd probably go Keith Craft, he's relatively close to me and I have several friends that have had both street and race engines done by him with no problems. But there is a poster here that has had some problems with his 331, I don't know the whole story there. There's always going to be someone that's not happy with something, it's all based on expectations. I heard about a non Ford crate engine on a non Ford forum that the guy installed, started it up and locked it up, he thought it was shipped with oil as the ad said it was complete. He was dragging the builder's name thru the dirt, but everyone saw thru his idiocy. I've heard other stories where a builder accidently put head gaskets on backwards and the buyer drug his name thru the dirt even though the engine wasn't hurt and the builder sent new head gaskets next day. Made me wonder if the buyer ever did anything wrong, like put engine oil in his car without first reinstalling the drain plug (I have yet to do this one, knock on simulated woodgrain top on my drop leg particle board table top I have for a desk).

I'd suggest someone nearer to you, Livernois or Survival Motorsports.

I would consider a local builder. There should be some good ones in Mi. I chose a guy that builds circle track engines. All the parts for it were competitive and some cheaper than mail order. He said that he makes his money doing machine work and assembly and would rather sell parts at cost to avoid people bringing in stuff that won't go together that they saved money on buying it at Summit. Talk to some locals and see who they use.

I really like the DSS ProBullet with the Main Support System. Does anyone have any direct feed back on DSS?

Tim

I have not bought from them yet, but I have been talking to them quite a bit lately as I am planning 347 build. So far my experience with there customer service has been positive, in that they have given my two written estimates, have replied quickly to emails, and have spent plenty of time talking on the phone with me- and I haven't spent a dime with them yet.

They are local to me so that is part of the reason why I plan on using them, but I have also heard many good things, and they seem to have a lot of positive press.

I will update in the next 2-3 weeks when I place the order.

I used D&J Machine & Performance engines (I found the company on e-bay) and the motor is great. I picked up the 302 328hp version with the Eldelbrock Performer RPM intake ( I think I paid something like $2600 with a 12,000 mile one year warranty). Another guy who used my mechanic bought the 375hp 302 with Aluminum heads version and that thing is real nice as well. Anyways, check them out!

http://www.tuffdawgengines.com/SBF carbureted.htm