who replaced rear control arm bolts before? where? what kind?

axeman

Founding Member
Feb 9, 2001
Elizabethtown, PA
looked around at hardware stores and found nothing. 7/16 is tool small, 1/2 is too big. went to the ford dealer and they want $15 per bolt and $2.50 per nut. what a FREAKIN JOKE! so, i went to the local farm supply and actually found some #12 metric bolts that actually fit pretty well. but, i was unsure about the hardness of them. metric is not rated like standard, grade 8, grade 5, etc....

anyway, i know some of you have replaced rear control arm bolts before. where did you get them and what kind?

• Sponsors (?)

DO NOT use the softer grade bolts! Shear a bolt or two off during a hard launch or hard corner and the results could be catastrophic. Use only grade 8 (standard) or grade 10.5 (metric).

If you can't find them in your area, you can order them through most of your hardware stores. I've had the best of luck at the "mom and pop" hardware stores like Ace and the like...never at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I rarely find large fasteners at auto parts stores.

I've literally replaced nearly all the suspension fasteners at least once on mine (I generally do not reuse them). What you have to do in many cases is get a longer bolt and then use hardened washers for spacers. Sinch them down with nylon lock nuts or double nut them.

I may be wrong, but I thought you were generally supposed to use Grade 5 and NOT grade 8 because of the harness properties. Grade 5 will be a little more forgiving and if overstressed will stretch or wist, etc. Grade 8 will simply snap. ???

so what should i do? do grade 8's bend? i've heard of people bending the factory bolts before.

btw, the jackass at the dealer couldn't tell me anything except that it would cost me ~$100 for 8 bolts and nuts. that's BS