Who still has dial-up internet connections????

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
Just wondering, my girlfriends mom is paying 28.00 a month for dial up AOL because she's to lazy to switch her phone company LOL and she's always pissed at the connection, i only pay 12.00 a month for DSL but she's the one that's always broke :rlaugh:

• Sponsors (?)

I still pay for a $12/month dial-up account with MSN for emergencies.

Haven't relied on dialup in almost 9 years. Been using full speed cable internet the whole time going from 1.5MB to 8MB currently and no price increases. Best part is that I've had only 4 days of downtime during this 9 year period. :)

Should be interesting to see what others have to say on the dialup topic.

Yep, I'm still on DU. Even some of your guys' sig pics gives me fits (Synned and HenceForward's pics can actually shut my browser down).

I don't know the ins and outs of high-speed. I see the flyers from Cox and the phone company but it's never close to 20 bucks a month of less. How do you do that?

Carnut, should it ever be viable, Netzero has (I think they still do) accounts with 10 free hours a month. Just in case you need an ISP for when your usual connection is down..............

SBC and Verizon always run special promotions, schech their websites, only catch is that you need a 1 year contract but for 15.00 internet DSL or cable it's well worth it, plus all you do is cancel a month before it's over and they will give you another promotion just to stay with them.

Yep, I'm still on DU. Even some of your guys' sig pics gives me fits (Synned and HenceForward's pics can actually shut my browser down).

I don't know the ins and outs of high-speed. I see the flyers from Cox and the phone company but it's never close to 20 bucks a month of less. How do you do that?

Carnut, should it ever be viable, Netzero has (I think they still do) accounts with 10 free hours a month. Just in case you need an ISP for when your usual connection is down..............

You should really look into getting broadband. The companies around here have bundled packages so you might have to get a few more channels on TV. But IMO $50 a month is worth broadband VS. Dialup. If you get it, you will love it.

I have been trying to talk my grandfather into getting it for months. He loves to use his laptop, but he has dialup, so he has to stay at his desk with it. :shrug:

Since we're talking prices............

For $129 a month, I get digital cable (with 2 DVR boxes), digital telephone (w/all possible features and even voicemails going to audible email), and 8Mb cable internet. All local and long distance calls are free. The digital cable also comes with all HBO and Starz movie channels.

Sounds like a lot of money, but paying for each seperately from different companies would cost me $30 a month extra or more.

What about AT&T JT? It looks like they offer introductory DSL (way faster than dialup) at $14.95 a month.

FWIW I pay $20 CAD a month, and it's fast.

I have comcast high speed (braodband). Had it for 8 years and almost no down-time, and if I have a problem there open 24/7. Some friends have DSL for $20 per month. hey also have high speed DSL for $30. That DSL is faster than my broadband connections sometimes.

I have comcast high speed (braodband). Had it for 8 years and almost no down-time, and if I have a problem there open 24/7. Some friends have DSL for $20 per month. hey also have high speed DSL for $30. That DSL is faster than my broadband connections sometimes.

I should have mentioned I've got Comcast, too. Couldn't be happier.

Several friends and co-workers have DSL, but several of them have downtime frequently. A few of them have several weeks of downtime on DSL each year, but they stick with it. Of course, my next door neighbor tried Comcast and had tons of problems with speed and downtime. The installer(s) were the issue there and they never could get it working right. Very odd.

I use several testing methods to test the speed of my cable internet and I'm almost always 90% and above.

Damn straight, Broadband is the ****nit.....lol. I'd be freakin lost if I had to go back to dial up. I'm so used to the speed that I wouldn't know what to with myself if I had to wait minutes instead of second for pages to load....lol

Thank you for the replies that were directed towards me. :nice:

If someone has the time, maybe you can give me a quick logistics overview (or links are great). I have NO idea how the service aspect works with this stuff. I have Cox and Qwest service going to the house. Can I use someone else's DSL service (AT&T, et al) or would I have to use QWEST?

And are there fees for having ISP access for extra puters (other than needing a router or whatever)?

I'm just a real caveman with this stuff.

Thank you for the replies that were directed towards me. :nice:

If someone has the time, maybe you can give me a quick logistics overview (or links are great). I have NO idea how the service aspect works with this stuff. I have Cox and Qwest service going to the house. Can I use someone else's DSL service (AT&T, et al) or would I have to use QWEST?

And are there fees for having ISP access for extra puters (other than needing a router or whatever)?

I'm just a real caveman with this stuff.

That link I provided says that AT&T is supposed start offering their DSL w/o the requirement of having their home phone service, but not for another 6 months. That was part of the agreement with the FCC when they bought Bellsouth. So right now, you have to use them for your home phone service if you want their DSL.

AT&T does not require you to pay for extra computers, they like to make you think you 'need' to purchase their home networking package, though. However, AT&T will NOT provide tech support for wireless network problems, if you don't pay them for 'their' network package. That isn't a problem because whatever router brand you choose will provide tech support.

If you have cox or comcast, you can get broadband service through them. All you need is a router either wired or wireless, to run more than one puter. I'm running 3 through a wireless router. You would have to contact your cable or phone provider, or by checking there websites for price and speed info.

There are no fee's for adding more puters, unless they wanna rape you. The only thing they can offer you is a faster speed. Your puters run the same weather you one or five. With comcast, I have had no speed issues. I know people with DSL that have had some speed and connection issues with a router. DSL is good, but when they have down time it's about a week before they get up and running again. Broadband is up and running in about 30 min. Plus I've had very little down tim in the years i've had it.