Who uses a vacuum cooling system refill tool? What brand and is it worth it?

killer5.0

5 Year Member
Oct 8, 2009
I know foxbodys are notorious for air pockets...it looks like these tools are worth it but looking to hear from those of you who have it. And what kit you have.
I was wondering how it fills the system past the thermostat though since it isnt open until the motor heats up? And would a 3gal construction compressor be adequate to run one of these? I cant imagine it takes a whole lot of air to run it.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, I've never had an issue with airpockets when doing coolant. I basically jack up the front end, top off the radiator, start the car and let it come up to temp while keeping the radiator topped off. When it's hot and looks like no more coolant will fit in it, I put the cap on, let it run 5 mins and then shut it down. I top off the overflow tank, let it draw coolant back in as it cools and call it a day. I keep a gallon of water/antifreeze in the car and add a little if needed over the next few drives. That's pretty much all I've ever done with any foxbody that I've needed to refill the coolant system on. Probably done it a dozen times or so without issue

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Airlift is what we use at work. Works well pulling vacuum and refilling.

Reactions: 1 user
Airlift, Snap-On, Matco are all good tools. I use them almost everyday at work. I have a Snap-On, and I really like it.

You'll need a very large air supply to run one. They pull a vacuum in the system, and then pull the coolant into the system. There is a coolant bypass hose at the thermostat housing, that's how the coolant gets around a closed t-stat.

You can purge the system the old fashioned way, but time is money when you do this for a living (in my case it's tractors and equipment repair). We can't tell customers to top off their coolant after so many hours of operation, or risk overheating issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Good thing about them is that they will tell you if you have a leak somewhere in the system also.

Filling the radiator and lifting the front end has always worked for me also.

Reactions: 1 user
I liked the aspect of checking for leaks via pressure drop before filling the system...so a pancake compressor wont be ample for one of these setups?

Actually I would say yes, your only at 16lbs pressure so it should vacuum down with little running time. I don't know how to figure how much vacuum in inches that would be but if it holds any for a time, say 15 to 20 minutes your good right?

The volume of air necessary to create a vacuum in the system with the tool far exceeds the air a small pancake compressor can supply. So you would have to wait for the compressor to catch up more than actually using the tool. The 80 gallon compressor at work turns on shortly after opening the valve to begin drawing a vacuum, and will lose pressure slowly while trying to keep up.

You want to draw as much vacuum as possible to make sure you get all the air out, and efficiently fill the system.

Actually I would say yes, your only at 16lbs pressure so it should vacuum down with little running time. I don't know how to figure how much vacuum in inches that would be but if it holds any for a time, say 15 to 20 minutes your good right?

At idle I think the 16 refers to inches of mercury instead of pounds. 2.041" of mercury (HG) equals 1 psi at 60 deg. F. There are additional variables but using temperature only is the standard for a street car.

What the vacuum reading does under various run states can inform a lot about you engine like bad pistons, rings. valves, A/F ratio quality, etc. along with if there are leaks in the vacuum system or not.

Last edited:
When it comes to cars, a lot of mechanics will say vacuum when asked what can annoy or frustrate the most about your job. Of course I would never throw a tool :rolleyes: but I've seen a lot of tools fly because of vacuum.

Here's some of what vacuum monitoring explain:

1) A steady reading of between 17" and 22" is considered normal for a stock engine.
2) A low but steady reading between 10" and 15" would be caused by retarded ignition or valve timing, or low compression.
3) A very low reading between 4" and 9" means you have a vacuum leak.
4) If the needle fluctuates as you increase the engine speed, you have either an ignition miss, a blown head gasket, a leaking valve or a weak valve spring.
5) A gradual drop in reading at idle means you have excessive back pressure or partial blockage in the exhaust system.
6) An intermittent fluctuation at idle means you have either an ignition miss or a sticking valve.
7) A reading where the gauge needle drifts anywhere between 12" and 22" indicates that your idle mixture is unstable. This is more common on carbureted motors.
8) A high and steady reading indicates that the ignition timing is too far advanced.
9) If, when you quickly close the throttle after running at 2000 rpm for ten seconds or more, the gauge needle DOES NOT jump two or more inches above what it is at idle, your piston rings are shot.
10) If the reading at idle is lower than normal, but the gauge needle fluctuates three inches on both sides of normal, your valve guides are excessively worn.
These are but only a few of the things you can learn about the condition of your engine with a vacuum gauge. Keep in mind that a blower or a turbo will create a false reading because the boost they create offsets the vacuum reading.

The following is the way to find out if you have an internal vacuum leak from a defective intake gasket:
1) Hook up a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold.
2) Fully close the throttle plate by backing out the idle screw all the way.
3) Plug up the PCV valve opening.
4) Disconnect and plug any vacuum hoses attached directly to the intake manifold.
5) Disconnect the wire to the positive side of the coil.
6) Crank the engine and observe the vacuum gauge. From 3" to 7" of vacuum (at a minimum of 250 cranking rpm) is normal. A defective intake manifold gasket will give, in most cases, a zero reading.

With a vacuum gauge, there are two easy tests you can run to determine if your exhaust is restricted (cats clogged).

First test:
1) Attach vacuum gauge to manifold vacuum source.
2) Observe vacuum at idle.
3) Snap throttle to WOT and release, while watching the gauge.

The vacuum gauge should drop to almost zero when you hit WOT. When the throttle snaps closed immediately after, the vacuum should read 4" to 6" higher than what it did at idle. It should then settle back at the same reading it was at idle before the WOT snap. This whole exchange should go from idle reading to idle reading in 2-3 seconds, tops. If it takes longer for the gauge to return to the same idle reading, your exhaust is restricted. The longer it takes, the worse the restriction.

Second test:
2) Warm up engine.
3) Observe vacuum at idle.
4) Leave engine idling for 10 minutes. Do not touch anything on the car during this time. In fact, go inside and fix some coffee.
5) After 10 minutes, observe the vacuum.

If the vacuum is the same or higher, you don't have any resctrictions. If the vacuum gauge has dropped, you do have a restriction. The more it drops, the greater the restriction. If it drops 1" or more, you have a serious restriction. 2" or more and you might as well have the exhaust welded shut. Keep in mind that a rich exhaust will clog up cats in a hurry.

Last edited:
When it comes to cars, a lot of mechanics will say vacuum when asked what can annoy or frustrate the most about your job. Of course I would never throw a tool :rolleyes: but I've seen a lot of tools fly because of vacuum.

Here's some of what vacuum monitoring explain:

1) A steady reading of between 17" and 22" is considered normal for a stock engine.
2) A low but steady reading between 10" and 15" would be caused by retarded ignition or valve timing, or low compression.
3) A very low reading between 4" and 9" means you have a vacuum leak.
4) If the needle fluctuates as you increase the engine speed, you have either an ignition miss, a blown head gasket, a leaking valve or a weak valve spring.
5) A gradual drop in reading at idle means you have excessive back pressure or partial blockage in the exhaust system.
6) An intermittent fluctuation at idle means you have either an ignition miss or a sticking valve.
7) A reading where the gauge needle drifts anywhere between 12" and 22" indicates that your idle mixture is unstable. This is more common on carbureted motors.
8) A high and steady reading indicates that the ignition timing is too far advanced.
9) If, when you quickly close the throttle after running at 2000 rpm for ten seconds or more, the gauge needle DOES NOT jump two or more inches above what it is at idle, your piston rings are shot.
10) If the reading at idle is lower than normal, but the gauge needle fluctuates three inches on both sides of normal, your valve guides are excessively worn.
These are but only a few of the things you can learn about the condition of your engine with a vacuum gauge. Keep in mind that a blower or a turbo will create a false reading because the boost they create offsets the vacuum reading.

The following is the way to find out if you have an internal vacuum leak from a defective intake gasket:
1) Hook up a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold.
2) Fully close the throttle plate by backing out the idle screw all the way.
3) Plug up the PCV valve opening.
4) Disconnect and plug any vacuum hoses attached directly to the intake manifold.
5) Disconnect the wire to the positive side of the coil.
6) Crank the engine and observe the vacuum gauge. From 3" to 7" of vacuum (at a minimum of 250 cranking rpm) is normal. A defective intake manifold gasket will give, in most cases, a zero reading.

With a vacuum gauge, there are two easy tests you can run to determine if your exhaust is restricted (cats clogged).

First test:
2) Observe vacuum at idle.
3) Snap throttle to WOT and release, while watching the gauge.

The vacuum gauge should drop to almost zero when you hit WOT. When the throttle snaps closed immediately after, the vacuum should read 4" to 6" higher than what it did at idle. It should then settle back at the same reading it was at idle before the WOT snap. This whole exchange should go from idle reading to idle reading in 2-3 seconds, tops. If it takes longer for the gauge to return to the same idle reading, your exhaust is restricted. The longer it takes, the worse the restriction.

Second test:
2) Warm up engine.
3) Observe vacuum at idle.
4) Leave engine idling for 10 minutes. Do not touch anything on the car during this time. In fact, go inside and fix some coffee.
5) After 10 minutes, observe the vacuum.

If the vacuum is the same or higher, you don't have any resctrictions. If the vacuum gauge has dropped, you do have a restriction. The more it drops, the greater the restriction. If it drops 1" or more, you have a serious restriction. 2" or more and you might as well have the exhaust welded shut. Keep in mind that a rich exhaust will clog up cats in a hurry.

Not at all what they are talking about. .

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
So i borrowed one of these from my buddy...is there ANY allowable drop after its brought to full vac? My little compressor will only get it to 24lbs..it drops abt 1/2lb per 60 seconds...im assuming i have a leak somewhere?

That's a pretty good leak. I've left one on overnight and it didn't change. Try pinching off the overflow hose, and make sure you have a good seal at the filler neck.

I re-tightened all the hose clamps on the rad hoses and tstat housing bypass...i unhooked the overflow tube and put a vac cap on it....i have the heater core and hoses deleted,....i dont understand where it could be...everything was super clean...new felpro gaskets with a thin coating of ultra black front and back around the cooling ports...let sit 48hrs and re-torqued to 18ftlbs...pissed off at the moment...

Last edited: