Who's a tire expert???

noclue02

Oct 26, 2009
Ok so I took my 02 mustang for inspection today and it didnt pass because my tires are worn out. I just replaced my tires back in November. And as hard as it may be to believe, I dont stomp on it alot. I have 18inch rims with tire size 255-45-18 Z rated on it. Basically it cost 660dollars to replace all four. At this rate im going to be doing this twice a year. I am thinking about pruchasing smaller 17in rims that will have a 245-45-17 HTR rated on em. This setup with tires and rims will run me 979 bucks. If I were to do this, in the long run, would it save me money to go with these smaller rims? would the tires last longer then the 18's? Whats the difference between a Z rated tire and an HTR rating? If there are any tire experts on here your help would be great!

• Sponsors (?)

Go to tirerack.com. The answers to your questions lie there. Stick with a tire with a treadwear rating of 300 or better and be sure to get an alignment done. Just going from a 16" to a 17" rim will alter your toe-in enough to wear front tires prematurely. Oh, Check the air pressure about once a month and keep them rotated every 3000 to 5000 mi.

GT

I don't know if changing tire size will alter your toe, but it sounds like your alignment is out of whack to have that kind of wear. I've heard of some ultra high performance tires giving only 10k-15k miles of service, but it sounds like you got much less than that. Definitely get an alignment even if you go to 17" wheels.

The looks aside, 17" tires tend to be cheaper than 18" and there's more selection, too.