Whos made thier own headers befor?

bluevenom867

I will have images of molesting stuffed animals in
Dec 15, 2003
St.Petersburg,FL
Well,when the time come to start the full build-up of my braket car (I would like to run Super Pro/Pro Combo at local track and any NMRA class that allows electronics or a transbreak) I'll probably be looking at a Chevy big block for power (sorry,but its cheaper and part around here are easy to get for them) unless,of course I can get my set of TFS R head repaired and find a good 351W block,I got 6 good pistons so I figuer order 2 more and a new crank and rods,ect.

Anyways,as the title says,Im getting a TIG welder soon (if not I borrow my uncles) and plan on getting some 2" or so mild steel tubing and having some flanged cut and making my own headers- zoomies to be exact. I figuer it shouldnt be to hard,but I never seen a set on a stock suspension type car. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like your building a car alot like my friends...
IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0470.jpg
    IMG_0470.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 46
Ah come on guys,its just gunna be a bracket car,and besideds its barely a Mustang,more like just an empty shell. Oh,and it was a broken,beat-up 4 cylinder befor if it makes it any more permittable. :)

Dean85GT,thats not quite what I had in mind,but close. This car is TOTALY stripped of everything;trim,sound deadener,wiring,interior,and it will have lexan windows and a chomoly cage all to keep wieght to a minimum.Also,it looks liek the BBC sits back in there quite aways,and might be a real bitch to change plugs and set the timing,witch would be important,especialy sense I plan on runing it on methanol with maybe a touch of nitro :) (80/20 at most if I can afford aluminum rods).

The reason I mention the BBC,is simpley like I said,parts avaliablity and price.

I could probably get a BBC runing for about what I would need to set-up a good short block and valvetrain Ford motor for the parts I got now,UNLESS I used a 302 witch I have. I would just be concerned with the power and endurance capabilities of the stock block.

Edit:Oh,and I should also mention a Chevy would make it cheaper to set-up a good Powerglide and converter combo.

chev motors are a dime a dozen....and more people have them sitting around. easier to get to build so that is why I think people do that....I am not against it but I wouldn't go that way with my build

Alright,so what do YOU think I should do,hmm?

Parts I got I could use:

1 302 Explorer motor
A pair of ported TFS "R" heads that need repaired
A large solid roller cam,that needs reground,or possable the one lobe repaired if thats possable (gouged and mared from a lifter tie breaking)
Some Scorpion roller rockers,valve covers,rubber gaskets,ect.
Manely push rods for a 351W
6 JE TFS "R" spec pistons that were in the 4.030" bore 408 (1.25" compression hight,sligt dome for about 12:1 w/ 60cc use with 6.250" rod in 9.5" block) with there wrist pins,and spiro-locks,ect.
3 sets of 351W 6-point head studs
2 paires of Cometic gaskets
a kit to custom build an oil-pump pick up
and a bunch of other small stuff,like gaskets and seals

Only way I could think of to make the work,would be use the 302 block,shave ten tousandths off,use a 3.25" stroke crank and a 5.315" rod witch would let me use the pistons I got,and make a 331 (332 actualy) with a 8.19" deck hiegth.