whos running big cubes with carb on the street?

Pur Pony

Founding Member
Sep 5, 2001
CT
I am looking to put a motor in my '84.... thinking of a 408 or 427 and going carb.

This is going to be somewhat of a summer daily driver/cruiser/track car (just a few times a year)...... Am i crazy? should i stick to smaller cubes? or at least fuel injection? I live in an emissions state but if this is a problem i have a way around it....

Im looking to build the engine as simple as possible and as keep the engine bay as clean and empty as possible... no a/c, etc...... just looking for pretty large HP.....

who else is running a combo like this? think i can get 100,000 miles out of a 408 or 427?

• Sponsors (?)

I dont know about the mileage since that has never really been tested on a large motor like that, especially being a stroker. I do know that pushing 427 cubes out of a windsor is a tall order and so I doubt you'll get that kind of mileage out of it. The other thing to consider is the low mileage you will be putting on it. So even if the motor is only good for say 30-40k, that will last you like 10 years or so. I think a 408 can easily live on the street since its really not asking too much of the 351 windsor block, but it all really comes down to the cam, heads and abuse you put on it. As for carburetion I would go with something in the 750 range and go with either a Holley or Demon. If its a summer cruiser and weekend pleasure car with a few trips to the strip then go for the vac. sec. carb since they perform better on the street, get better mileage and still pack a good punch at the strip.