who's using stock radiator & electric fan

• Sponsors (?)

I have a dual set up, one on the ignition and the other on a temp sensor. I still find that mine get a little too hot for my liking, I am running the stock rad, and stock Alt. and a 160 thermostat, I don't know what's going wrong with mine but when it's on the highway it's low, light to light and aggresive driving it gets hot. suggestions?

My fluidyne dropped right into the location on my 92 LX, it was cake. I bought a STEEDA radiator shroud and have the flex fan which blows massive cold air keeping everything cool. I am thinking of adding electric fans in front of the radiator and even adding a vortech aftercooler for my blower. I have lifetime warranty hoses called "pimpin Hose" ( my buddys company). Now after cruising I can chill beers on my hood, I used to beable to cook steaks there.

Michael Yount said:
dvs - your symptoms usually mean that your fans aren't moving enough air across the rad at low speeds.

I've got two of the things, one is a smaller one (approx 10inches)and it's a push fan, it helped when I installed it but on hot days or in heavy traffic or lots of high acceleration the temp goes up the larger is a draw fan (appox 14inches). Could it be that I am not suppling enough current from the alt. to run them at their proper speed? Should I switch to a 180 thermostat? I heard some talk on the forum that 160's don't allow the coolant to stay in the rad long enough to cool, eventually making it run hotter? or maybe that the draw fan is just out to lunch?

stang - you can use an auto radiator in either car, but you can only use the manual radiator in the manual car. If you're gonna drive it with the auto and the new radiator before the swap, put the auto radiator in it; then just plug the holes where the cooler attaches when you swap it over.

dvs - a pusher and a puller is not a good idea - it blocks too much natural flow across the radiator, and they may actually 'fight' with each other. I'd get rid of both, and get a good quality puller fan with shroud that you know will move enough air. And you will need a good alternator - at least 95A, most use 130A, to power things. Go to the link - absolutely the best controller on the market today - and a great fan selection too. www.dccontrol.com

Someone above spoke of getting a new rad cap? Did you replace it with a stock one or a cap with different tendencies? My 85gt likes to get warm here in FLA in traffic and a/c. Ive got a new HD fan clutch to go in soon. Getting a 180 t stat. (should I get a 160?) And maybe a new rad cap since yall say it helps. Oh and some type of water wetter additive that claims to drop engine temps a bit. Any suggestions? THX
Joe E.

dvs - a pusher and a puller is not a good idea - it blocks too much natural flow across the radiator, and they may actually 'fight' with each other. I'd get rid of both, and get a good quality puller fan with shroud that you know will move enough air. And you will need a good alternator - at least 95A, most use 130A, to power things. Go to the link - absolutely the best controller on the market today - and a great fan selection too. www.dccontrol.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot for the advice!! do you recomend the taurus fans or another style? I'll start taking that stuff of soon to change it up.