Why 215mm Width???

ABC

Feb 28, 2017
Newark, OH
So I've been wondering.. I look at the Challengers, Camaros, Chargers, and other such base vehicles I've come across, and they all have like 235 and above. Why oh why did Ford decide to do weak 215s on their base cars? Just wondering. Mine's a 2014 V6, and that's what I have. So sad.. :(

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

There's currently a tire width one-up war between Ford and Chevy. That war begins with the GTs and SSs and goes all the way through the Shelbys and Corvettes.

I just read a post that the new Shelby is going to be a TT 735HP 5oh... What size tires you think that will have on it? Surely not the same as the base V6. :O_o:

So the tire width on a Mustang has decreased over the years?? The factory width for my '03 GT is 245.

Has the width of the actual wheel decreased or are they still 8"? Wonder what would warrant the narrower width.

So the tire width on a Mustang has decreased over the years?? The factory width for my '03 GT is 245.

Has the width of the actual wheel decreased or are they still 8"? Wonder what would warrant the narrower width.
The GT is still at 245 I believe. It's the V6 I was talking about. I know it's the base Mustang, but base Mustangs are now 305hp/280ftlb which in my opinion should warrant a wider tire than 215mm.

The GT is still at 245 I believe. It's the V6 I was talking about. I know it's the base Mustang, but base Mustangs are now 305hp/280ftlb which in my opinion should warrant a wider tire than 215mm.

Ah, I see now. Yeah, that would seem to make sense to widen the tires a bit with the extra "oomph."

Keep in mind the target audience of the base model vehicles. Not all of these are driven with performance in mind, only on sunny days.

A good chunk of the segment daily drive them through all weather conditions, rain and snow. Narrower tires tend to be a little bit safer in such weather due to weight distribution on a smaller area, as well as being narrow enough to cut through snow/deep water rather than float up on top like with wider rubber. Vehicle weight also has to be taken into consideration as well. The vast majority of base model Mustangs are driven like any other car on the road.

There is a 235/50/18 option for the V6

soutcreektrucking.png

Keep in mind the target audience of the base model vehicles. Not all of these are driven with performance in mind, only on sunny days.

A good chunk of the segment daily drive them through all weather conditions, rain and snow. Narrower tires tend to be a little bit safer in such weather due to weight distribution on a smaller area, as well as being narrow enough to cut through snow/deep water rather than float up on top like with wider rubber. Vehicle weight also has to be taken into consideration as well. The vast majority of base model Mustangs are driven like any other car on the road.

There is a 235/50/18 option for the V6
Hey Mustang5L5 thanks for your explanation. That does make sense. I should've opted for the Performance model. It's all good though. Love my Stang! :cool:

... it rains and snows a lot out here in OH, and I do now have all weather tires. Definitely best to be safe as possible in those conditions so in a way glad I have those narrower tires.. they just don't look sporty.

They probably could have managed it with slightly wider tires. My taurus has 255/45/19s from the factory and I squeak out 30-31mpg on the highway with the 3.5 and 4400 lb. Only 290hp though but handles remarkedly well with the wider rubber

Economy. If Ford can save money putting smaller, more affordable tires on at the factory, they will. I have noticed Ford is big on skimping on rubber products like tires and bushings. They must have done a study that told them cheaper materials have same performance as more expensive materials, so it's considered greater quality. However, my tires and sway bar bushings disagree with that thinking.