Why am i having a hard time selling?

My friend has a 91 lx 5.0 w/ a t5 & a short shifter/adj clutch quadrant.

He shifts as fast as any auto I can think of. He is fricken nuts! Faster than I could ever shift!

But after the shifter, I might be able to keep up with him a lot w/ practice.
Scott

p.s. You have the right idea. Start with a car that is meant to race. Then port the heads/intake, new cam, and you will have a 300 rwhp beast! The gt-40's heads and cobra intakes are definworth porting IMO.

I wanted a vert, so I couldn't get a cobra (only 1000 vert cobra's made per year). Lowest mileage I could find was 100k.

• Sponsors (?)

Autos may be more consistent especially when used on a faster drag car, but they are also much more boring to drive. It has nothing to do with looking cool. It has to do with the pure pleasure of driving a performance car the way it was intended. I'm not trying to offend any of the auto guys because i was once an auto guy myself.
Explaining why people like driving manual tranny cars is weird because you either "get it" or you don't. My mother thinks it's the stupidest thing for anyone to want ot drive a stick, but to me it's the only way i will ever buy another performance oriented car.
Mike

i agree, an that thing about the 5 speed losing a race to an auto easily, i beg to differ, you can hold gears a hell of alot longer in a 5 speed obviously, an in an auto your losing power because of the quick shift points unless you have a stall an shift kit but ide put my money on the 5 speed. good luck with finding a car, i know what you mean about driving a performance car the way it was intended, anyone who drives a 5 spd stang knows this.

Quick5pnt0 said:
Autos may be more consistent especially when used on a faster drag car, but they are also much more boring to drive. It has nothing to do with looking cool. It has to do with the pure pleasure of driving a performance car the way it was intended. I'm not trying to offend any of the auto guys because i was once an auto guy myself.
Explaining why people like driving manual tranny cars is weird because you either "get it" or you don't. My mother thinks it's the stupidest thing for anyone to want ot drive a stick, but to me it's the only way i will ever buy another performance oriented car.
Mike

Couldn't agree with you more. Love banging through the gears!

red94fiveo said:
Couldn't agree with you more. Love banging through the gears!

There is also nothing better than being able to control the rpm's as you wish. My exhaust sounds SOOOOOO GOOOOOD at 1900-2500. I absolutely love it! And being able to stay within that range all the time is what is nice!

You can with auto too. Just have to manually shift it.

But you know that sound. When you rev it to 2k, and slowly let the clutch out, keeping the revs at 2k the whole time. That is a sweet exhaust note. But terrible for the clutch.
Scott

mo_dingo said:
But you know that sound. When you rev it to 2k, and slowly let the clutch out, keeping the revs at 2k the whole time. That is a sweet exhaust note. But terrible for the clutch.
Scott
thats got to make a lovely smell. *puke*

at any rate, you could go the route i did and swap a manual into the car. for about $1800, you can have a tremec 3550 with all the necessary other parts and quite a few other aftermarket parts to support it as well. i would do that before selling the car to buy another one.

cb18201 said:
i agree, an that thing about the 5 speed losing a race to an auto easily, i beg to differ, you can hold gears a hell of alot longer in a 5 speed obviously, an in an auto your losing power because of the quick shift points unless you have a stall an shift kit but ide put my money on the 5 speed. good luck with finding a car, i know what you mean about driving a performance car the way it was intended, anyone who drives a 5 spd stang knows this.
I really think that you need to do some more homework. You can redline a auto just like a 5 spd, if you get the right valvetrain and proper tq conv you won't loose power but gain it, if you want I could post you a link to a guy who dynoed 75 more rwhp by swapping from a man to an auto. And if you look at the top fuel, no one under 8 secs drives a stick. You really have to know what you are doing when it comes to a stick to get it fast, there is a lot more to concentrate on and there is too much that can go wrong ie mis shifts, too much clutch, too little clutch. Yeah you can shift fast with a manual, you won't get the accuracy or speed that you can out of a computer which is what an automatic is.

Just an fyi, I am a stick guy. I know how to drive stick, when it comes to racing I will take a built auto over any built stick (.5 secs is way to inconsistant for me but I have to live with it until I can afford a auto swap). When it comes to having fun I do like to drive stick, but it sux in traffic.

One of the members of 100mphClub.com is famous in this area for his speed shifting. He can shift and drive like a MOFO... while it is truely rare... even HE has mis-shifted against me once or twice.

I wanted a 5 speed bad... still kinda do. However, I have noticed one big difference at the track when using Nitrous. An Auto will flat get more out of a WOT Nitrous setup... I spray from the second I launch til I cross the finishline. Most guys won't powershift with juice, for a good reason, and that OFF and ON can cost you a 2 or 3 tenths.

Well, it is pretty cool to drive a stick. i have always preferredone. I have never really raced. I love the different sounds you can make with it. My current car is an Auto, my third one. I swore after my last Auto i would never buy another one. I got such a good deal on it i couldn't pass it up, $3700. I like it also because my wife can drive it from time to time (we always play fight over who gets to drive it). If she drives it..she like's it = money allocated from my financial manager to spend on the stang!

sc302 said:
I really think that you need to do some more homework. You can redline a auto just like a 5 spd, if you get the right valvetrain and proper tq conv you won't loose power but gain it, if you want I could post you a link to a guy who dynoed 75 more rwhp by swapping from a man to an auto. And if you look at the top fuel, no one under 8 secs drives a stick. You really have to know what you are doing when it comes to a stick to get it fast, there is a lot more to concentrate on and there is too much that can go wrong ie mis shifts, too much clutch, too little clutch. Yeah you can shift fast with a manual, you won't get the accuracy or speed that you can out of a computer which is what an automatic is.

Just an fyi, I am a stick guy. I know how to drive stick, when it comes to racing I will take a built auto over any built stick (.5 secs is way to inconsistant for me but I have to live with it until I can afford a auto swap). When it comes to having fun I do like to drive stick, but it sux in traffic.

Can you post that link here? He must have been pulling 1000+hp to gain that much.
I don't know if you were refering to actual top fuel cars but they dont have any transmisson so that doesn't really count. Usually most cars running 10's or lower are running an auto but prostock cars and alot of pro 5.0's are running manual transmissions. (but definately not T5's..LOL)
A friend of mine running an 11 second street/strip car went from a stick to an auto and back again because he said it took all of the fun out of it. To each his own i guess. :shrug:
Mike

Quick5pnt0 said:
Can you post that link here? He must have been pulling 1000+hp to gain that much.
I don't know if you were refering to actual top fuel cars but they dont have any transmisson so that doesn't really count. Usually most cars running 10's or lower are running an auto but prostock cars and alot of pro 5.0's are running manual transmissions. (but definately not T5's..LOL)
A friend of mine running an 11 second street/strip car went from a stick to an auto and back again because he said it took all of the fun out of it. To each his own i guess. :shrug:
Mike

I am sorry it wasn't as much as I originally said but still a 5rwhp gain haven't looked at his site in a while, sorry for the bs floating out of my finger tips, should have looked b4 i typed.
Edit: I don't know where I got those numbers originally, I do remember them, but then again I deal with numbers all day long. My memory is shot, where can I buy more ram for my brain?

http://www.clickclickracing.com/main-000007.html

http://www.clickclickracing.com/index.htm

have fun.

I bought my 94 a little more than a year ago and owned it for one year. I bought it for 6,000 and sold it for 7,000. It did have a tremec and usual bolt on's. The main reason I got that much was cuz of the color though. It did have 90,000 miles too. Just gotta find the right buyer